What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 parachute?

Hi Group,

Does any of you have experience with wearing a parachute in the RV3?

I have tried a backpack chute and this fits well when I took the back support out of the seat, but I did not have much clearance to the canopy. I suspect that when I take out the bottom cushion and wear a seat pack, this will leave me more room to also wear a helmet.

My length is 1.82 meters ~ 6 feet.

Let me know your thoughts please.
Which chute works in the place where normally the seat cushion is postioned? Any issues?

Kind regards,
Duncan

I suspect this might be hard on the RV 3 as there would be nobody left to fly the plane after you got out:eek:

I cant think of a really good reason to wear a chute in an RV other than legal requirement for aerobatics. It's often not as quick or easy to get out of an out of control AC as one might think. At Queen Creek AZ a young fit ATPL holder and instructor failed to get out in time from 7000 ft . It was an Extra 300 that is much easier to open the canopy and get out of than a slider RV. The FAA report is on line in the Extra 300 reports. They got the canopy open almost instantly, but lingered too long while extricating themselves. I think the instructor was ready to go but did not aggressively haul out his student. If you have never skydived it might be worthwhile to do once or twice before buying a chute.

IF it's on fire, shut the fuel off and land. If electrical, shut the master and ventilate. I tend to over simplify, but why wear a chute in an RV if you don't wear one in a 182?

You asked for thoughts on the subject. I cant imagine any chute being fast or easy getting in or out of a 3, but use one if you must or if if you prefer. I suspect the seat pack would be a better fit, or perhaps combo seat & back if it's thinner. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I suspect this might be hard on the RV 3 as there would be nobody left to fly the plane after you got out:eek:

I cant think of a really good reason to wear a chute in an RV other than legal requirement for aerobatics. It's often not as quick or easy to get out of an out of control AC as one might think. At Queen Creek AZ a young fit ATPL holder and instructor failed to get out in time from 7000 ft . It was an Extra 300 that is much easier to open the canopy and get out of than a slider RV. The FAA report is on line in the Extra 300 reports. They got the canopy open almost instantly, but lingered too long while extricating themselves. I think the instructor was ready to go but did not aggressively haul out his student. If you have never skydived it might be worthwhile to do once or twice before buying a chute.

IF it's on fire, shut the fuel off and land. If electrical, shut the master and ventilate. I tend to over simplify, but why wear a chute in an RV if you don't wear one in a 182?

You asked for thoughts on the subject. I cant imagine any chute being fast or easy getting in or out of a 3, but use one if you must or if if you prefer. I suspect the seat pack would be a better fit, or perhaps combo seat & back if it's thinner. Good Luck!

I don't know what the legalities are in other countries, but here, there would be no legal requirement to ever wear a chute doing acro in an RV-3. But there isn't much cost to wearing a chute if you can work out the ergonomics. Regarding difficulty getting out, with a tip up (RV-3/4), all you have to do is unlatch it and the next thing you know you're flying an open cockpit. Egress procedure needs to be practiced on the ground, and if done, you can get out pretty quickly. And don't leave an airplane with your headset on. Chutes are a little extra insurance in a airplane that is subjected to aerobatics. Yes RV's are not flown as hard as a lot of other aerobatic planes, but that does not mean that they could not, or should not be. All the reasons folks wear chutes in other planes also apply to the RV.

Parachutes aren't always used in the way folks they think they are...ie. getting out as fast as possible after a wing folded, etc. Rod ends can fail, FOD can jamb controls in a way that could make it unlikely a safe landing could be made, even though you may have enough control to climb to safe altitude and jump. Sean Tucker had to do just that a few years ago. Any airplane that is subjected to aerobatics is doing something totally different than cruising along in a 182. Aside from possible legality, it's pure personal choice. I wear one in my single-hole Pitts, even though I'm not required to. Doesn't really cost me anything, and if I ever need one...

I use a backpack type in my -3
No rear cushion and a hard foam/glassed cushion for the bottom.
Enouph canopy clearance (2-3 inches) is enouph clearance for no head contact at -2.5g
I use an "in ear" headset and a Hooker Ratchet belt system, both help.
Chute is required for competition, yes getting out is the challenge, no more than most other types IMHO
Hope never to need it, but I'd hate to wish I had it.
Mike

Back