What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVgas pricing

Joe Hine

Well Known Member
I see that someone posted a thread today about flying into Canada. I fly in eastern Canada so I'm not sure of the price in other parts but one of the other pilots at our small field went to the local large airfield with fuel service and fueled up the other day and the price, after tax, was $2.31/liter....this translates to $10.34 an imperial Gallon. This is at CYFC, Fredericton N.B. This apparently is the most expensive avgas in Canada other that the north.. I'm boycotting, I'll burn car gas or stop at another airport before I'll pay that. Our dollar is slightly more than the US right now as well.

This is when car gas is $1.22/liter after taxes (which are included in car gas but added to avgas)

I'm just ranting here a bit guys....I'm retired and this is making flying too expensive for me. I burn car gas as much as possible, but the dreaded methanol has reached here now.

I don't want to discourage anyone from flying to Canada...there is lots to see and do here, but we do have price gougers here in some places.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ RV4

Large airport FBOs will often have higher costs which is reflected in the fuel cost.

I use airnav in the USA to find lower cost 100LL.

In the not too distant future we will all be wishing for sub $10/gal gas, car gas or avgas!

Just think, at $10/gal x 8 gal/hr ......... $80/hr x 2,000 hrs....... $160,000 fuel to overhaul.

The airplane is the cheap part, IF you fly it:eek:

In Norway..

.... it's around 2,50 USD/ litre now.... and that equals approx 9,50 USD/US GAL... :eek:

Example: if I land with the required 45 mins of fuel in the tanks, then refuel my -7 to full tanks, the bill will be....... sit down now.......................: APPROX 370 USD!!!!

Hopefully it'll come down to 2,20 USD per litre during summer.... :D
... and here there's very low taxes on avgas, so that price is for the fuel itself....

BTW: car gas is about the same here: approx 9.50 USD/US GAL....

And we have the whole North Sea FULL of oil!!! And a very large part of it belongs to Norway...... go figure......?????

Last edited:
Just to offer a regional U.S. data point against which the other prices can be compared: Finishing up my Flight Review yesterday, I paid $6 U.S. per U.S. gallon at our GA downtown airport (SPG) in St. Petersburg, FL.

Jack

High gas prices

If you believe what they teach about the free market, the cure for high gas prices is.....high gas prices.

When it goes so high no one buys it, the price will come down.

The sooner we stop buying, the sooner the price will drop.

However, if you don't believe in the free market, then the sooner we stop buying it, the sooner "they" will stop producing it.

:eek:

In Italy, AVGAS 100 LL costs Euro 2,55/liter, which is $3.64/liter or $13,77 per US Gallon, at the daily ?/$ exchange.

Who overcomes me?

Upper Montana (Mineral Co./ Superior) ----- $4.55 US gallon, yesterday.
Close to the border....:)

L.Adamson

Avgas Pricing-Lead on Kit

Flew over to Superior (9S4) today, talked to Airport Board member Jeff Carlson, he advised their 100LL avgas is currently priced to attract any and all local and transient traffic needing it, $4.55 a gallon. Huge above ground tank on East end, and a modern no-nonsense card reader. I took advantage, due to $5.65 at KTHM :p.

Also, Jeff advises there is an uncompleted 6 for sale in town, a widow is asking his help to sell it. No details to give except an engine is included.

Contact JJC1(at)Blackfoot.net. He will meet interested parties at 9S4 and drive them to the kit in town for inspection.

I warned him of the coasters enroute Osh might hit him hard at that LL price, he said "bring it on!"

Montanamike
RV6 N918MB Phase II

Back