What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help

robert ruggles

Hi all, I'm currently looking to buy a flying RV3 and have a couple questions for experienced RV3 aviators.
I have about 800 hours total flight time, which 80 hrs. have been in a RV6A and 8A, 50 hrs. in a Citabria and 40 hours in a Sonex tail wheel.
I'm thinking I can just get in the RV3 and go as long as the runways for first few takeoff and landings are not challenging and the winds are light.
If you don't agree, what should I do to get prepared for A RV3 first flight?
Thanks
Robert Ruggles
Surprise AZ.

I'd get a T/W RV checkout first. It's not a hard taildragger at all, but you'll be safer and more confident with a little familiarity. Make sure the tailwheel shaft is clean/lubed and moves freely. They gum up often after as little as 20 hours or so and this can really affect the ground handling.

Hi all, I'm currently looking to buy a flying RV3 and have a couple questions for experienced RV3 aviators.
I have about 800 hours total flight time, which 80 hrs. have been in a RV6A and 8A, 50 hrs. in a Citabria and 40 hours in a Sonex tail wheel.
I'm thinking I can just get in the RV3 and go as long as the runways for first few takeoff and landings are not challenging and the winds are light.
Thanks
Robert Ruggles
Surprise AZ.

Robert,

You should be fine. As you say, fly from a known easy airport and take it easy. Of course know your stall speed and proper approach speed. I've found that my -3 likes to wheel land more than 3-point although I've learned to do either in it. A 3-pointer is not a full stall type landing like in a Citabria as the 3-point attitude does not provide the angle of attack needed for a full stall. Still, it's not a difficult plane to fly at all. As you know from your RV time, they are more responsive and things happen quicker.

Thanks
Robert Ruggles
Surprise AZ.

Robert,

With a whopping 10 hours in the -3 I sure don't fall into the "experienced RV-3 aviators" catagory. But here's my experience anyway. Like you, I had Sonex tw time. When that got sold and I started building the -3, my flying turned into an occasional flight in a J-3 and a couple of backseat rides in a -4. Falcon issued my policy with no additional requirements. A couple of weeks before the first flight, I flew an hour in the back seat of an -8 that lacked rudder pedals. Had absolutely no problems climbing into the -3. Until you see the vsi hit 2400 fpm, you'll think you're in a Sonex.

Tony

My procedure

Robert,
I dont have any -3 time but it certainly seems like you have enough tailwheel experience to go for it (that is if you feel comfortable). I learned to fly in a tail wheel but, had not flown in one for over 35 years. The local glider club needed a tow pilot for their Pawnee so I agreed to help out. Went up in a Husky for three tows with a qualified tow pilot then got into the Pawnee and did three landings before I started towing. Now, the pawnee is significantly different in size and eye feel than the Husky. When in a three point attitude the pawnee's long, long nose seems to be parallel to the runway. This was a little intimidating but I was confident I wouldn't have any problems.
I got very familiar with the location of switches and gauges and also with the operation of the fuel system. I think this part is very important as you do not want to be hunting for stuff or trying to figure how to operate things while you are getting the feel of your new bird. A lot of people are so anxious to fly that they do not prepare themselves well in this area.
After I got airborne - I treated the flight like a practice session for a student pilot. Some st/level, normal and steep turns, slow flight and a series of approach and departure stalls. After about forty five minutes I felt I was ready to try the pattern. I then made a slow (well above stall speed) low pass down the center of the runway before my first landing attempt.
The result of this preperation was that I made three almost perfect landings. The prep may have been a little overkill - but, the first landings were almost a non-event.
BTW, after almost 150 landings in the pawnee last year, none of them have been as good as those first three...go figure.
Have fun.

Agreed.

.....with the other guys' assessments. The -4 is close to the -3 in ground handling...very little input needed on calm days. It responds so well to rudder input that it's easy to overcontrol.

Regards,

.....with the other guys' assessments. The -4 is close to the -3 in ground handling...very little input needed on calm days. It responds so well to rudder input that it's easy to overcontrol.

Regards,

I like others think you will have no problem, might want to do a couple of landings in the Citibria just before your RV flight. All controls on the RV3 are responsive and light but I do not think it is as easy to over control as Pierre suggests.
Tom
RV3
2000+ hours

OH BOY!

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading out to Cal. this Friday to buy a RV3A and I'm tempted to just buy and fly but the seller is willing to give me some time to get it out of his hangar even though it's one of the reasons he's selling her.
I haven't flown a tail dragger (Sonex) since last spring so next week I scheduled to do a BFR in a Super Cub and then I will go back and get the RV3.
It would be help if it was raining this Friday when I'm checking her out :)
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az

Tips

A couple of things that worked for me (RV-3, 150hp, fixed-pitch):

On takeoff, feed the power in slowly to give yourself more time to control the p-factor with the rudder. On my first takeoff I fed it all in and still have in my mind a vivid image of heading directly toward the trees along the runway edge before booting the rudder in a surge of adrenaline. Probably wasn't that bad, but that's the image stuck in my head. By the time I had corrected I was off the ground and climbing like a banshee. The -3 will accelerate and fly on much less than full power.

On landing, use full flaps to lower the nose and carry some power to flatten the glide. The descent rate is fairly high at slower airspeeds (maybe because of the short wings?) and with no power I found myself over-rotating in the flare to compensate. Then a tailwheel touch, mains touch, flying again, repeat a couple of times for a three-in-one landing. As a reference point, if I keep the spinner on or below the "horizon" line (end of the runway) and gently search for the runway things work out OK. If I get the spinner above the "horizon" line in the flare the tailwheel will touch first and the wing is still flying. My current numbers are 80-85mph IAS approach at 1200-1300rpm, full flaps, for a descent rate of around 350fpm. Your numbers may vary - try a few combinations at altitude before the first landing.

The -3 handles very well on the ground, and visibility over the nose is good in the three-point attitude if your seat cushion is adjusted so the top of your head is about 1" below the canopy - virtually no blind spot from that position.

And the -3 is a hoot to fly. You're gonna love it.

...Joe (working on power-off landings, but don't have them perfected yet!)

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading out to Cal. this Friday to buy a RV3A and I'm tempted to just buy and fly but the seller is willing to give me some time to get it out of his hangar even though it's one of the reasons he's selling her.
I haven't flown a tail dragger (Sonex) since last spring so next week I scheduled to do a BFR in a Super Cub and then I will go back and get the RV3.
It would be help if it was raining this Friday when I'm checking her out :)
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az

Robert
I think I know all the RV3's in California. What airport are you going to? What color is the RV3?
Tom

Joe and "Tin Man" Tom

Joe, great info. on the landing picture needed, don't think I will have any problem with the power feed. The current owner said it had issues when he bought it but has the RV3 dialed in now, looks like a nice one and nothing like a tested RV3 to start with.

Tom, did I say Cal. :) I will post more about the plane after I buy it this Friday, I don't want this one to get away.
Robert Ruggles
Surprise Az.

Joe, great info. on the landing picture needed, don't think I will have any problem with the power feed. The current owner said it had issues when he bought it but has the RV3 dialed in now, looks like a nice one and nothing like a tested RV3 to start with.

Tom, did I say Cal. :) I will post more about the plane after I buy it this Friday, I don't want this one to get away.
Robert Ruggles,

No worries
If I know anything about the airplane or could help with a pre-buy I would be happy to share . Contact me off line if interested. I've got my own RV3.
Good luck
Tom

GOT ME A RV3A!

Thanks for all the tips, should be helpful. I bought a really nice RV3A N633TB at Camarillo airport in Cal. Can't wait to fly it.
Robert Ruggles
Surprise AZ.

Back