What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 x 14awg's to 14awg

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hooking up my Garmin regulated heated pitot today .. I need to get 2 14awg wires connected to a single 14awg. The heater has two inputs. It has to be a connector as it needs to be easily removable. Any suggestions on what type of connector would work well here? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I'd probably work up a 2 pin Molex using a jumper either crimped into the pin together with the power line, or spliced and soldiered just slightly upstream if the connector wasn't big enough.

16g or 14g, your title says one and body says another. May make a difference, also, what current draw are you looking at ?

Terminal block

I did a retrofit of the Garmin heated pitot. I ran the 2 wires from the pitot to a terminal block mounted under the seat pans in my 7A.

I then put a jumper between the two 16's and ran a single wire to the pitot heat breaker.

FYI. The terminal block was already mounted. I use it to run the wiring to the wings. I guess a lot of people are using Molex connectors these days but I still like terminal blocks.

I generally use butt splices on everything I can, much more reliable than a connector and easy to cut out and re-splice (if you leave some slack) in the event it needs to be disconnected (pitot probes are not failure prone).

I didn't know knife connectors could be used for joining three wires together. Can you please share how that's done?

The knife connectors are interchangeable regardless of size (red, blue, yellow). You could, in this case, use a yellow for two 14 g wires and a blue for the other side.

The knife connectors are interchangeable regardless of size (red, blue, yellow). You could, in this case, use a yellow for two 14 g wires and a blue for the other side.

This is a cool idea, thanks! It had never even crossed my mind to try and connect two different colored knife terminals together...

Back