What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need flat stock lead weight for elevator

RVTOY

Well Known Member
DONE! Need flat stock lead weight for elevator

Pain't shop got carried away. Need around 150 grams or more ASAP in order to go to OSH next week.:confused:

Last edited:
Try a tire shop. They may have some lead weights that would work. For some custom wheels, they need flat pieces that stick - glue on.

Should be able to pick some lead sheet up at the local big box home store. I used pieces that I cut from a scrap sheet that was in my hangar to get perfect balance on my RV-8 elevators. I added a nut plate on both elevators at the tooling hole just in case extra weight was needed.

Amazon also sells lead sheets and they are not very expensive.

Lead is banned in CA. So what's available out here is not very heavy in size and poor melting quality to form into tight space.

Ordinary steel sheet, 0.050" or so, primed and painted before riveting. Number of laminations set weight.

Contact me

I have some lead wool and can get solid lead easily. Let me know.

-Marc

Last edited:
Would appreciate knowing your paint weight . . .

Pain't shop got carried away. Need around 150 grams or more ASAP in order to go to OSH next week.:confused:

When I hung and balanced mine getting ready for final assembly, I finally began to measure the out-of-balance in in-grams. That way I could better determine what weight was needed for the area I had to remove or add.

I have estimated that prime and paint will be 920 in-grams. Do you know what yours is in those units?

BTW - I cast a trapezoidal shape (made an aluminum form) equal to the 920 in-g and fastened it on the aft side for a perfect balance. Planning to remove it then tweak after paint.

Last edited:
Anybody out there just leave the weights as is until after painting? I haven't trimmed mine at all because of how the paint will change balance. This approach definitely leads to a strong amount of overbalance though.

Thanks everyone

McMaster Carr has stock of 93% pure lead and they are open on Sunday. Bought the 1/4 inch thick 6"x6" ( smallest in 1/4") so if your local you can drop by for some off the sheet.
Thanks Dpansier #2 post.

Lead weight

You can get a bag of lead shot form a gun store where they have shell reloading supplies.

Make yourself a wooden mold and melt the shot and fill the mold.

then cut it down the the exact size you need. Could, also embed nuts in the mold with the bolt holes set in place if you want to spend extra time.

Elevators

Is it best to balance each elevator are both bolted together.I always thought each one then bolt together.
Bob

Lead is banned in CA.

Huh? Lead *shot* and lead *fishing weights*, yes...but lead in general? Not AFAIK.

You could always just buy another lead counterweight from Van's (which will certainly ship it to CA) and use that.

Back