What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield overhang from instrument panel

larryj

Well Known Member
Does anyone have input on how much glareshield overhang they used and if they would do it differently next time ??
I am fitting the Boot Cowl on my Rocket and have the rough-cut Boot Cowl sheet cut oversize. At this point I can trim it to any overhang from the instrument panel. I can imagine for example, trimming it flush with the instrument panel and regretting having done so. I'll bet there's some optimal range folks have found from experience.

custom glareshields

Larry, I determined the glareshield shape and size for my RV 4 slider by turning on the instrument panel at night and positioning stiff paper on the standard glareshield where the cockpit lighting and displays would not reflect in the canopy. I then shaped and taped the pieces together to form a templet before the final cut. I'm sure the Rocket will be slightly different. It's attached with velcro. Here are some pictures.

Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

There is a compromise between enough overhang and creating a head injury hazard. I find the stock RV overhang to be about right.

Carl

I plan on using a HDPE foam extension. Safe and effective.

Like the HoodMan setup on video monitors...

The Rocket is way different than the -4, and can have a substantial overhang without being a head/face injury concern. My -4 (standard tipover) has very little overhang ,which is actually part of the canopy, and I am going to make a foam piece that can be velcroed or snapped in place, as it takes nothing to be a head/face injury object in a -4. My friends Rocket has a fairly large overhang, which is essential with glass cockpit, but the panel is much farther forward than a -4. If I was building my -4 over again, I would inset mount my panel 4"-6" for just that reason.

Back