What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting the F-704H Center Section Side Plates

longranger

Well Known Member
I was going through all of the forward fuselage skeleton parts today, marking what holes get countersunk and which ones don't. In looking at drawing 28, I noticed that lowest holes adjacent to the spar cutout (six-pointed stars nearest the center of the photo below) get LP4-3 pulled rivets. Checking the instructions, they tell you to pre-rivet the skin to the side plates along the cutout, but explicitly say to NOT rivet these bottom two holes before installing the side skins.

WHAT goes in these two holes that doesn't go in the other 12? I don't see anything anywhere other than the side skin that gets riveted through these holes. Can anyone tell me what goes here?

FP29062014A00045.jpg

Miles
You can set a 470 rivet in the rear star when you do the others. Leave the front star open for now. When you attach the forward bottom skin you will use the LP4-3. If I remember correctly the rivet call out was little long and I had to shorten them a little on my scotchbrite wheel. This is where it would be nice to have an assortment of 1/2 size rivets.
Another area is the one hole above the rear spar attachment. Set a 426 rivet there as others have reported interference when setting up their wings fore-aft.

IMAGE_58.jpeg

IMAGE_59.jpeg

IMAGE_60.jpeg

Last edited:
Miles,

Ditto what Arnie said. Mine looks exactly like his, and I did it the same way. Also, the 426 rivet above the rear spar is important, as he said.

Cheers :)

Back