What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 420W GPS/COMM

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Thinking about upgrading the 420W to a GTN 650. Is there still a market for a used 420W and if so any idea what it's worth?

The 420 works just fine, deciding if it's worth the upgrade.

Last edited:
I boughts a 400w with tray, install kit, and antenna for $3800 from pacific avionics with 8130 form. I am intalling it in my rv6 for the occasional ifr approach. I have seen 420w's in the $4500-$5000 range dependingon screen condition. The problem i have with the new gtn series is the update subscription price. $500 for the 400 series and over double for the gtn series. I also prefer knobs in bumpy air.

Nice. I need to check into the new pricing. I was looking at full package prices about a year ago.

GNC 420W

Thought about a GTN 650 but rethinking after talking to smarter guys- opinions on replacing the 420W with a GTN 635? Am trying to do a sensible cost effective panel upgrade and use as much of the current equipment as possible. Budget is a factor so trying to keep the cost under control.

- An SL-30 is already installed so no need for the 650
- Seems to be a lot of interest in purchasing my used 420W
- Really like the ease of navigation and menu selection of the touchscreen 635
- A lot of other upgrades in process, just focusing this discussion on the GNC vs GTN GPS/Comm

Comments?

Thought about a GTN 650 but rethinking after talking to smarter guys- opinions on replacing the 420W with a GTN 635? Am trying to do a sensible cost effective panel upgrade and use as much of the current equipment as possible. Budget is a factor so trying to keep the cost under control.

- An SL-30 is already installed so no need for the 650
- Seems to be a lot of interest in purchasing my used 420W
- Really like the ease of navigation and menu selection of the touchscreen 635
- A lot of other upgrades in process, just focusing this discussion on the GNC vs GTN GPS/Comm

Comments?

You could also sell the SL-30 along with the 420W to help offset the cost of a GTN-650.

Back