What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuji Turbine and 3m PPS or DeKups

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
So I recently bought a Fuji Mini Mite 4 turbine spray system to prime and paint my future aircraft (haven't started yet). While researching painting products I noticed the 3M PPS series 2.0 paint cups (similar to Devilbiss DeKups). I was curious though, since the Fuji turbine system sprays at about 9 psi with a higher quantity of air than a normal HVLP that is closer to 40 psi with a lower quantity of air, is their enough suction to use the paint cups without a pressurization system in the cup. I noticed 3M PPS also sells a pressurized version of the 3M Paint Cup system, but it is significantly more expensive and I would rather not spend the money if I don't need the pressure.

Curious if anyone has experience either with this specific Fuji turbine spray system or a similar system and any of the quick cleanup cup systems like 3M PPS or DeKups. Thanks.

I used the Fuji Mini Mite 3 to paint my plane using Stewart Systems paint. I was completely new to painting, but was quite pleased with the setup. I just used the T70 non-bleed gun. Worked infinitely better than the HVLP gun I tried before spending the coin on the Fuji. I couldn't get enough volume out of my compressor and I suspect my air wasn't dry enough. Results were dreadful. The Fuji allowed a complete novice to pull off a decent 10 foot paint job in his garage.

I used a third type of collapsible cup system that is available here in Australia, but is similar to the PPS and Dekups system. I thought I'd just use a couple to paint the underneath of the aircraft, however I ended up using a total of 25 liners and used them for everything during the painting. They save so much solvent use and make it way faster to clean your gun up. They also mean that when you are painting any awkward shape you don't have to worry at all about the inlet tube of the sun sucking dry. Well worth it, and I would definitely go down that path again. Based on the research I did, I suspect either cup system will work fine for you.
Tom.

Hi Tom,
What are the collapsible cups you used. I have been using the PPS cups and would rather use the collapsible ones.
Thanks,
Joe

What spray gun did you use for the cups system? What was the pressure you were running through the gun? I am absolutely sold on using the cups due to the ease of cleaning, just not sure if the standard collapsible cups will work with such low venturi effect in the throat of the gun (9psi vs 40psi). And yes I am tracking that psi doesn't directly equate to air speed through the throat, but it works for comparison sake. Thanks

Hey Joe,

The paint cups I used were the Velocity brand by GPI. I used the 600ml cups, which seemed to be about right. They only come in boxes of 50, but you'll use most of them if you plan on doing all your own painting. If you are using Wattyl Superetch self etch primer, you can just recap the cup and leave the paint in it ready for the next batch.

Regarding the spray gun, I used a Sprayit LVLP gun, which worked fine with my 3hp compressor, and I ran the gun with a regulator at the gun set at 28psi. I do agree that you may have more trouble using a collapsible cup with low pressure, so I would look into that before you commit. Using a regular compressor for this task dictated that I had to have a water cooling system to dry the air, otherwise I got chronic fish eyes.
I can't really comment on the quality of the gun, because I got quite a bit of orange peel in my paint. Initially it was because I was painting at super low temperatures (10degC), then once I worked out that I needed to add a bunch of thinners, I got most of this sorted, but still not perfect. I can't say it was definitely the gun, as it may also be that I used Wattyl (Valspar) Colourthane polyurethane, which is an industrial paint finish. I used this because I wanted a paint that I could purchase and get mixed locally (the local guys here were a great help) but the finish is not quite as nice as I would have liked. I think next time I will try the German Mipa PU, which is significantly more expensive, but you can also get it locally. I'll also spend a bit more time experimenting before I paint again, and will be sure to leave my painting for the time of year where the temperatures are more suitable. I should get the last of the decals printed in the next couple of weeks, and will post some pics when they are complete.

Tom.

I used a mini mite with a fuji gravity feed gun to paint my RV8. the gun is pressurized. After spending way too much time cleaning the gun and cup, I decided to give the 3M PPS system a try. It is expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. You can mix the paint right in the liner/cup and cleanup is a breeze. The turbine does put out warm dry air. So depending on your paint booth temp you may need some retarder in your paint.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info. I am a long way away from painting my aircraft. I am just at the point of joining my centre section with the aft fuselage for the last time. Hopefully will have a canoe soon��.
I currently have access to a spray booth, so am hoping when the time comes, that I will still have access.
Cheers,
Joe

Rico, did you use the pressurized 3M cup or the normal system without the pressure tube? Thanks

Thought I would provide final feedback. I received a response from the Fuji technical assistance who said that when using their HVLP guns on a turbine paint system you must have the pressurized cups.

I guess my initial thought that the Venturi effect would not be sufficient was correct. Like most things I have come across so far, there goes the inexpensive route. Still not much money in the grand scheme I suppose.

Back