What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Ride Request - Arizona

I live in Tucson and am looking into buying an RV-8. Most of my time has been in a family member?s Super Decthlon. Originally I was looking at RV-4s and was really impressed but would like a little more space and aerobatic gross weight.

If possible I?m looking to see an RV-8 in person and ideally go up as a passenger for a flight before traveling to look at potential buys. If there is anyone in the Arizona area that would be up for this it would be greatly appreciated. I would pay for all expenses and your time.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I go into Chandler (Stellar) quite often but I dont have any plans in the near future. I'm flying the -8 right now but I hope to get the Rocket going before too long. Once that happens, the -8 will be relegated to a dusty corner of the hangar, only flown out of pitty.

Dont overlook a Rocket as a potential purchase. Like an -8, only better.

...in every way.

I was able to go up in an RV-8 the other day and it was all I hoped it would be. We are in the purchase process for the plane now. If anyone knows who might be able to provide transition training in the Arizona area it would be greatly appreciated. I have my tailwheel endorsement and the bulk of my time has been in a Super Decathlon.

Thanks!

?Keith

Keith,

I applaud your desire for RV-8 transition training despite having a tailwheel endorsement and recent Decathlon time. It demonstrates a commitment to risk management that usually comes through years of experience. Most of the pilots over time we hold with high regard like Hoover, Carpenter, Yeager and even Sullenberger tend to show a reasoned approach of desiring a checkout in any new type (well, maybe not Yeager... There's always a cowboy in the bunch).

If you are determined to follow through with transition training the only person I have personal experience with is Bruce Bohannon south of Houston. That would require a minimum of a round-trip airline ticket on your part. I have seen his dual control RV-8 in person and it has fully functional rudder pedals with brakes in the rear seat. He has FAA approval for instruction in the bird. There are two or three other instructors in other parts of the country providing similar service in RV-8s. I just don't have any first hand experience with them.

Meanwhile I would encourage you to taxi your new 8 around and lock in the horizon site picture from your normal seating position. That will be a great start. I recently did similar with my newly acquired RV8. Owning and flying an RV-3B with recent experience in two friends RV8s and a single-seat Pitts I felt I could safely check myself out in mine and so did. I can almost guarantee that I missed at least something little and that it took more than a couple of flights to really nail things down and figure out the nuances. Had I went to someone like Bruce those things would have been briefed and seared into my mind before the first training flight. Risk management. That's where the real value of transition training comes in. And if I find myself at Bruce's again I probably ought to go ahead and take a lesson or two as a matter of course. I always come away learning something from Bruce.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks Jim, I'll get in touch with Bruce.

I'm a relatively new pilot (~250 hours over 2.5 years), but haven't had access to a plane for the last 6 months or so. Getting current, changing planes, and wanting to learn the nuances of an RV-8 definitely has me wanting to work with someone.

Thanks again,
Keith

Keith, where did you end up finding transition training? I'm looking to get into a 4 or 8, have many years in Cherokee's, Cessna's and the like, plus a tailwheel endorsement and time in a Super Decathalon, Citabria's and some Cessna 140 time. Would definitely want a little transition training as I get closer to finding and purchasing.

Thanks!

Back