What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

basic med in the Bahamas

Wiley

According to AOPA, your Basic Med forms can be kept at home in your log book. Are they required to be with you in the Bahamas?

Always with me....

I would recommend you'd keep them just like you have kept your medical in the past. I've never been checked in the Bahamas but, I have been checked many times coming back into the states (license and current medical). I laminated the small ID portion on the bottom of the basic med certificate and carry that just like I did with my medical cert.

Timely.

I was just looking at the Bahamas VFR flight planning guide last night and agree with the statement above. The Bahamas don't seem to care s long as you pay your 50 dollars to get in and spend money while there, but Customs here getting back in to the US will care. I have started taking all my tickets with me if I am going anywhere away from home for the day or longer. It may never happen, but it is in the FAR's if you get stopped and checked. I have found that the more prepared and Laggit your look the fewer questions it raises when stopped. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. # 80888

The only time I've been ramp checked in 37 years of flying was in Ft Lauderdale after returning from the Bahamas. I had everything on me and it was over quickly. I got the impression they were training a new guy.

See, this is where I would become a gadfly :)

Assuming you can fly in the Bahamas under Basicmed, you're perfectly legal when returning to the US if you are under Basicmed, which means: driver's license is all that's needed, so that's what I'd have. I don't mind "educating" employees of CBP or any other agency on the FARs :)

Same goes for TSA, any LE, etc.

When you print your certificate, there is a wallet card at the bottom. I cut it out, folded it, laminated it and put it in my wallet. Also put one in my log book with my Dr?s checklist rather than the certificate. I put the certificate and original checklist in an aviation folder in a safe place at home.

Back