What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX 335 option for WAAS GPS

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
The GTX 335 transponder info says that it can be purchased with an internal WAAS compliant Position source suitable for ADSB OUT . Is there an indicator or P/N that designated that the unit has that feature or do they all have that feature. I notice that the bundle kit for that ADSB comes with a GA35 WAAS external GPS antenna.
My question would be: would any GTX335 be capable of ADSB out if the GA35 antenna was added to the mix. and I guess the next question would be would there be additional Garmin software and or major cost envolved with that other than the purchase of a GA35 ??

Last edited:
The GTX 335 transponder info says that it can be purchased with an internal WAAS compliant Position source suitable for ADSB OUT . Is there an indicator or P/N that designated that the unit has that feature or do they all have that feature. I notice that the bundle kit for that ADSB comes with a GA35 WAAS external GPS antenna.
My question would be: would any GTX335 be capable of ADSB out if the GA35 antenna was added to the mix. and I guess the next question would be would there be additional Garmin software and or major cost envolved with that other than the purchase of a GA35 ??

I installed that in my Tiger last year with the bundle package.

The transponder will output ADSB but needs a "certified" source. If can be fed from an external GPS but if you get the GA35 antenna if becomes self contained. It still needs an altitude input, but Garmin also has a small (really small) altitude encoder that fits on the rear of the tray. With this the it was essentially a stand-alone installation in my old Tiger and deleted a 30 years old Narco encoder with the tray mounted encoder.

The tiny sensor -

11-14162a.jpg

Not all 335's have built in WAAS receiver.

Non WAAS PN: 010-01214-01
With Built in WAAS PN: K10-00276-03

I put it in my RV4

I had a shop install mine back in march. Not that i dont like the gtx335..but i had decided on an Apparo stratus when I went in to buy the equipment. garmin had their unit for the same price so i went with it. I have regretted that I didnt stick with the stratus and get in and out for less money.

Cm

Thanks Walt, i thought there must be some difference in the ones which had position source orher than just the antenna. One has to stay alert with used equipment classified!!

Back