What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wondering about this format....

txaviator

Well Known Member
Just curious, as I have heard a few people saying that do not like this forum format (not THIS one in particular, just a web forum in general).

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would NOT like this format? :confused:

* No waiting on Mod's to approve a message
* No wading through tons of posts trying to find something you need
* No email subscription lists....

I know it is a loaded question, but does anyone have a clue why some people don't like these formats? I can't see any reason why people aren't jumping on here like crazy, as opposed to the old Yahoo! groups?

Can someone shed some light on this? There must be a good reason for some people to dislike this setting, although I cannot figure it out? I love this format! :D

My best guess Gary would be that many are used to the 'email delivery model' of doing things and don't want to stray from that. I certainly understand...I'm not too fond of change myself, but after using these forums more and more I found I prefered them.

Six half dozen... pretty sure the 'forum vs email' debate could equal the 'nosegear vs tailwheel' debate if given half a chance. :D

txaviator said:
Just curious, as I have heard a few people saying that do not like this forum format (not THIS one in particular, just a web forum in general).

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would NOT like this format? :confused:

* No waiting on Mod's to approve a message
* No wading through tons of posts trying to find something you need
* No email subscription lists....

I know it is a loaded question, but does anyone have a clue why some people don't like these formats? I can't see any reason why people aren't jumping on here like crazy, as opposed to the old Yahoo! groups?

Can someone shed some light on this? There must be a good reason for some people to dislike this setting, although I cannot figure it out? I love this format! :D

Forum vs Yahoo

I am a member of Cessna Pilots Assn. A couple of years ago they changed their Forum and everyone complained. Their new forums have a similar format to these. After the adjustment period the old format has been forgotten and the new is praised. I'll bet that the Yahoo email will die a fairly rapid death. These are GREAT! George

Forums

I was in the dark for a day or two, but the lights are on now and i really like this forum thing. Thanks Doug
Doyle Reed

New Forums

As an old dawg, I do not like to be taught new tricks. There is also the "All change is bad unless it is my idea" approach to life.

Having said that, I think I will like the new style after I learn how to use all of the features.

Zack Spivey
RV-7A Preview Plans
Still dreaming

this format

I am also a member of the Cessna Pilot Association, and a real fan of their forums. The key feature I like is the ability to view all post made in last 24, 48, or ? longer, don't remember but think it is 7 days. I have not figured out how to do that on this forum. The "new post" link does not really work well for me. So I am still a user/viewer of the Yahoo emails.

Tom Lewis
RV7a QB

tommylewis said:
I am also a member of the Cessna Pilot Association, and a real fan of their forums. The key feature I like is the ability to view all post made in last 24, 48, or ? longer, don't remember but think it is 7 days. I have not figured out how to do that on this forum. The "new post" link does not really work well for me. So I am still a user/viewer of the Yahoo emails.

Tom Lewis
RV7a QB

Tom, you might check your Cookie settings because it's possible that you have your security settings one notch too high and this forum's cookie isn't being allowed. Also, you may also have some spykiller software installed that's preventing the VAF cookie from working correctly.

See if you can go into your software and specifically set this particular cookie as "safe". Once you get the "New Posts" link to work correctly, you'll like this format a lot more.

Highflight
RV7-A

Last edited:
I'm still in the process of reading through the messages in search of an answer, but is there a way to receive these messages via e-mail? I know I can subscribe to a particular thread and receive notification of a new post, but I'd really like the posts themselves to arrive as an e-mail.

I subscribed to the Yahoo list in the daily summary form and then transferred the e-mail's to my Pocket PC. It was great reading material for those times when the Jepp revisions were complete and the winds are 270 @ 120kts enroute from PHL to LAX. :D

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to start reading "People" magazine... say it isn't so :eek: By the way, I do like these little emoticons. :rolleyes:

Back