What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans DVD transfer to IPAD

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I find the Vans construction DVD very valuable, but it would be far more useful if I could get it transferred to my IPad. Since my IPAD does not have a dvd drive, I am lost.
Has anyone done this and is willing to share how they did it? Dynon makes things very nice by being able to download the Skyview installation manual and user manuals direct to the IPAD.

Use a PC to copy the contents of the disk to dropbox or Google Drive, then use the Dropbox or Google Drive apps to download it and view it on the iPad. At least that's how I'm doing it. I created a Gmail account just for the plane, and use the associated Google Drive account to store all information related to the plane. I can get to it from any PC or iPad.

Pdf

IRC, I saved mine as a PDF, then emailed it to myself and opened on ipad. Then saved it to ibooks. Use it there regularly.

These are PDF files and Kindle shows them, too. There are a large number of apps that read PDFs.

I was able to use the iTunes capability of uploading files to my iPad. iTunes is available for PCs as well as Macs.

Dave

I bought a short cord that has apple plug on one end and USB on the other so I can use flash drives on the OPad, but have not figured out how to make it work.

My dream is the pdf drawings would searchable for part numbers, oh the time savings. i have a 50" 4k monitor in hanger and rarely use the paper drawings on my 9a. I would buy the drawings again just for this. I noted the new planes are b size vs d size, that makes it a bit better. I really like being able to enlarge the detail sections.

My dream is the pdf drawings would searchable for part numbers, oh the time savings. i have a 50" 4k monitor in hanger and rarely use the paper drawings on my 9a. I would buy the drawings again just for this. I noted the new planes are b size vs d size, that makes it a bit better. I really like being able to enlarge the detail sections.

I finished my build before Vans released their PDFs. It was pretty simple to scan the plans, then use Acrobat Pro to make them searchable.

The files on my RV-10 CD are text searchable (came that way from Van's, late 2014-ish).

If you know someone who has access to Acrobat Pro it is relatively simple to do OCR on the PDF files to make a searchable version if they didn't come from Van's that way. I scanned and OCR'd the entire POH for my Warrior with Acrobat Pro and can now read and search it on my android phones and tablets.

Last edited:
+1 for Google drive....

Like GeraldC I uploaded the PDF files to a PC, and then to Google Drive. They can then be accessed by Google Drive app on your iPad. Mark the PDF's available offline and they will always be available to view on your iPad, even when you don't have wifi. I also have all my pics in a folder on Google Drive. Everything available from anywhere, and backed up in the cloud. Nice.

I just copy the files over to my hard drive (PC). Then I use iTunes to 'Add File'. You can do multiple files at the same time this way. The pdf's automatically show up in iBooks. I do the same thing with the FAA Pilot Books and others.

I like having the pdf plan set because I can blow up the detailed sections I'm working on to see them better. Sometimes, I'll just take a screen shot of an area and print it off.

The pdf plans are really worth the $10.

Bob

Have you or anyone else actually used this system? I have a nearly identical setup but for the life of me cannot figure out how to access it on the IPad.

My wife uses it for the purpose of saving photos of her (so called) phone to the computer without the pain associated with having to use itunes.

I see no reason it would not work to do the job you are trying to accomplish.

I put the drawings from the RV-12 CD on my Mac, then moved them to my iPad using iTunes. When I view the PDF files on the iPad using the free version of Adobe Acrobat they are searchable, no scanning required.

Last edited:
Back