What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Canopy strut installation

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Either the width of the canopy frame has changed since LBII was built or the countersunk machine screws for the canopy/strut attachment supplied with the new "Steel canopy gas strut kit" are wrong. The screws are maybe 3 mm longer than the ones that came out, and bottom out against the outside of the frame before the screw is seated in the countersink. I used the old screws. Also, the new tiny steel locknuts supplied are a bear to work with compared with the nylon insert locknuts originally supplied. Since this area doesn't get hot (I hope!) does anyone know why the switch was made?

Wayne 120241/143WM/ "Little Bird II"

I had the same issue and also used the old screws instead of the ones supplied in the kit as they would have poked through the fiberglass faring:eek:

jztc3l.jpg

Upon examining it, the end of the screw looks like it was filed down (possibly during the sanding/finishing of the canopy faring) I was glad to notice this before fully tightening the screw/nut.

Last edited:
Page 34-02, step 2: trim the ends of the AN509 screws so that only two threads protrude beyond the end of the nut.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Back