What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailering An RV-12

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
It finally came time to move my project from my air conditioned sterile garage to the very hot and dirty hangar. Again I used my $159 Harbor Freight trailer, which has the aircraft well balanced and easy to haul at highway speeds. Although only a few miles distance, I would have been comfortable hauling it for a very long trip. The looks of the other traffic on the highway was PRICELESS!
The trailer was modified for the plane and in the future it will allow me to haul the wings as well, on each side of the aircraft.
6ymc1e.jpg
[/IMG]

Inspirational Don. I'm hoping to do the same soon, as in an unpredetermined future date that I hope is nearer, but likely farther, much farther, down the road.

I like your trailer. I'll have to go check out the HF trailer section.

Not at all difficult, pushing down on the tail and going forward loads the nose wheel, then a come-a long from the hitch to the nose gear pulls it up some ramps. This photo might help show the process, I have previously done it with no outside help. Because I did not think it through, I have to remove the wheel pants because of how I made the trailer. Would correct that if doing it again:
2jbo4zq.jpg
[/IMG]

how difficult is it the get the plane up from ground level to the height of the trailer ?

Last edited:
Inspirational Don. I'm hoping to do the same soon, as in an unpredetermined future date that I hope is nearer, but likely farther, much farther, down the road.

I like your trailer. I'll have to go check out the HF trailer section.
I ordered my HF trailer from their web site. It was on sale (I imagine it almost always is) for $100 off, and they let me use one of the 20% off coupons too, so I thought I'd get hammered on the shipping.

This is NOT a typo: shipping cost was..... $6.

I ordered my HF trailer from their web site. It was on sale (I imagine it almost always is) for $100 off, and they let me use one of the 20% off coupons too, so I thought I'd get hammered on the shipping.

This is NOT a typo: shipping cost was..... $6.

I truly appreciate the irony of such competitive pricing (capitalistic) from a communist country. Looks like I'll go for the $6 shipping as well.

They have added models and the price has gone up. I got the 4 by 8 with the large tires. It comes in two weight ratings now I see, I had the lower rated one and removed one spring leaf to more closely meet my load. This was actually my third one, I keep thinking I can get along without one! The way I done mine it still serves as a cargo trailer, converted back in several minutes.

I truly appreciate the irony of such competitive pricing (capitalistic) from a communist country. Looks like I'll go for the $6 shipping as well.

Last edited:
Back