What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-12 Hatchling About To Leave The Nest

John-G

Well Known Member
Normally, when a black SUV with Government license plates rolls up on you at an airport ? it?s usually a time for concern. However, that was not the case Monday at the DOG Aviation hangar ? in fact, much to the contrary, it was a most welcomed sight. The SUV?s doors opened and three representatives from the FAA?s Cleveland MIDO (Manufacturing Inspection District Offices) facility exited the vehicle to greet me. Mr. Richard Greenlief, a Senior Aviation Safety Inspector and Small Plane Directorate, was the first to speak and said not be alarmed ? normally he would be the only Fed doing the inspection, but he had brought a couple of his newer employees along for some on the job training. I was introduced to Mr Jeffrey Green and Mr. Steven Heard ? then was told that Steven Heard would be taking the lead inspector role and would be performing the airworthiness inspection on the DOG Aviation RV-12 under Mr. Greenlief?s supervision. Steven and I shared an instant camaraderie ?. the airworthiness inspection would be a first for each of us.

The RV-12 was built as E-AB so, of course, I had the burden of proof that 51% of the work was done by myself. Armed with hundreds of photos with me in them all, a detailed builder?s log, and the DOG Aviation Blog, there was no contesting the fact the RV-12 was assembled by me.

Everything went smooth during the inspection and no issues found with the paperwork or the aircraft. After a brief engine run and a subsequent check for leaks, I was granted the coveted Special Airworthiness Certificate.
DSC02318.JPG

FAA Small Plane Directorate Mr Steven Heard presenting me with the Special Airworthiness Certificate for the DOG Aviation RV-12.

Many thanks to Doug Reeves for providing such a valuable resource for the RV community and to all the VAF forum members who over the last four years have directly answered questions or indirectly by posting valuable information for us all to share. A special thanks to the numerous RV-12 builders who have gone before and taken the time to share their knowledge here and via Blogs or builder sites for builders such as myself to refer to ? especially during those times when a picture is worth a thousand words. I would also like to acknowledge Dave Gamble at Schmetterling Aviation for taking the time one cold and snowy Saturday afternoon over four years ago to show me his then almost completed RV-12 and allow me to poke around, ask a million questions and peruse the detail of Van?s plans. It is your fault Dave, it pushed me over the edge to pick up the phone and purchase the RV-12?s empennage kit ? then proceed to ruin my posture by being bent over daily for the next four years LOL.

A special thanks to the FAA reps

Please pass on a special THANKS to the FAA Reps for a job well done!!!

Actually, after I received the AW certificate I suggested they let me take them out to lunch ? there was a pause and they looked at one another ?then I quickly said there should be no conflict of interest since I waited until after I was given the AW certificate before asking ?they agreed and accepted my offer. During the lunch it was made clear their efforts were acknowledged and appreciated. It was a good lunch and very informative.

Yes

Mark,
In addition to the flush rivets you already mentioned, here are some of the changes that were made to the RV-12 that I can think of at the moment.

In the engine compartment, I replaced all the fuel lines with the conductive Teflon fuel line kit offered by Aircraft Specialty. I also moved the oil pressure sender off the engine using an oil line from Aircraft Specialty and made a double mounting bracket so the oil pressure sender is now mounted alongside the fuel pressure sender on the firewall in a rubber grommet like the fuel sender. I changed the grounding by modifying a B&C GB24/24 ground block (cut off half of it) and mounted it to both sides of the firewall so the battery could be grounded directly to the firewall along with the starter and some of the sensors, ect. I temporarily installed the Ducatti regulator on the firewall shelf for the time being ... later this fall I plan on installing the Silent Hektik regulator I have on the far left of the firewall shelf and duct cool air from the coolant radiator's air duct onto it.

In the cockpit, I added 2 ?" backup airspeed, VSI and altimeter instruments from UMA and a PAI-700 vertical card compass. Because I feel it is daft to need to remove all the control cables to remove the center instrument panel, I added a separate mounting bracket for the throttle, choke and cabin heat controls. A Matco parking brake was also installed and its control cable mounts on the custom mounting bracket for the controls. Under the fuel tank, I added a fuel sump/drain which closely mimics the photos posted by Jerry Parr from the UK. Aircraft Specialty stainless braded crossover brake lines were installed at the rudder pedals and back to the Matco parking brake. Plus, used Aircraft Specialty stainless braded brake line from the fittings in the center channel, down the gear legs to the calipers. The outside canopy handle was changed as well using the very slick Aircraft Specialty canopy lock. This was likely way overkill but I also added springs on the master cylinders to insure a positive return as the master cylinders age.

For electrical in the cockpit, the AV-50000 panel was grounded directly to the ground block on the firewall. I added two Otto switches that match the ones in the switch panel. One controls the fuel pump and the other the steady on of the left landing light that was installed because I wanted wig-wag. Concerned about the current load on the electrical system when both lights are steady on, figured I can switch the left landing light on during short final if necessary, but that will likely never happen as I?m a daytime guy by nature. The power for the left light comes from the unused spare circuit on the fuse and switch module (which is unfused so a fuse was added). Tosten CS-8 grips were installed and the hat switch wired to control the trim via the Dynon AP panel ... the other switches on the grips are used for radio transmit, auto pilot disconnect, standby to active radio frequency swap, and cycling through the 20 user stored frequencies in the GTR200 radio. Also ran a separate ground wire to the sending unit on the fuel tank. Shielded cable was used for the nav/strobe circuits along with the lighting and wig-wag circuits.

In the wings, a stall warning micro switch was installed that has a slightly longer arm for easier adjustment. Also, cap screws were used to mount the stall warning micro switch because I feel it is easier to deal with them in the tight quarters than trying to get a Phlips screwdriver onto screws that are difficult to see (and not strip them). The wire grommets in the wings were made the next size or so larger so I could install shielded cable for the nav/strobe wiring. Not being sure if the wig-wag circuit would create noise, it too is in shielded cable. Also, a hole was drilled for a flush rivet in the left wing using the measurements and some of the hardware Joe Gores pioneered for adding AOA to the Dynon ADAHRS using Tygon tubing.

In the tail cone, I did not rivet the F-1208A wear plate ? instead, nuts were used and aircraft grade cap screws. Now to flip the wear plate, there will be no need to drill rivets. The baggage bulkhead was split to allow access to the tail cone without the need to remove the fuel tank (this was started prior to Van?s changes). In areas where the wiring took an abrupt turn or rubbed along the edge of a stiffener, a wire conduit was used to protect the wires. A ?Y? was put into the static line so static pressure could be brought up to the instrument panel for the backup instruments. The Tygon tubing for the AOA port was installed on the Dynon ADAHRS.

I would also like to acknowledge Dave Gamble at Schmetterling Aviation for taking the time one cold and snowy Saturday afternoon over four years ago to show me his then almost completed RV-12 and allow me to poke around, ask a million questions and peruse the detail of Van?s plans. It is your fault Dave, it pushed me over the edge to pick up the phone and purchase the RV-12?s empennage kit ? then proceed to ruin my posture by being bent over daily for the next four years LOL.
It was a pleasure - happy to see that you're almost ready to join the Ohio-based RV-12 contingent!

Congratulations !!

I regularly consult your excellent blog for my -12 build. All the best for phase 1.

Congratulations!

I'm impressed you were able to get the FAA out for an inspection. Inspirational!

Please don't go taking your website down anytime soon; I still have some building to go and enjoy reviewing your work.

Back