What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tow Bar

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
I have a RV7A and I use a Bogy Tow bar. I am building a RV12 and wondering if the tow bar will work for the 12.

Any one know??

Not sure if your Bogy tow bar will work, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't. However, you may not even need a tow bar with the 12. It is so light, and has so little weight on the nose wheel, vs a 7A that with just a little practice, you can put a 12 just about anywhere, and do it by yourself. I built Vans RV-12 tow bar, but all I use it for is locking the brakes and controls while parked on a ramp away form home. What a sweetheart of an airplane..........Tom

I find the tow bar essential when pushing the RV-12 backwards into the hanger. Steering the plane is so much easier. Pushing any castering nose wheel aircraft backwards is challenging.

I find the tow bar essential when pushing the RV-12 backwards into the hanger. Steering the plane is so much easier. Pushing any castering nose wheel aircraft backwards is challenging.

It just takes a little practice. It's sort of like backing up a trailer, in that while pushing the plane backwards, if you move the nose of the airplane to your right, the nose wheel will swivel right, and the tail will go right. You need to make small correction, and keep an eye on the nosewheel in the process. After you do it a few times, it becomes intuitive. Haven't used the towbar to take the airplane in or out of the hangar in a long time..........Tom

I find moving the airplane much easier with the tow bar......but not essential. What I do find essential is being able to use the tow bar to secure the rudder pedals and set the brakes when it is tied down somewhere. When folded up, it fits nicely between the fuselage ribs in the baggage compartment behind the pilot's seat. It's also very light weight.

Smart engineers those Van guys. ;)

Back