What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capping Lycoming Prop governor line

Graham

Folks,

My O-320-D1A came with an oil line for a constant speed prop, from the oil pump on the aft accessories pad to a fitting in the fwd crankcase.

As I am fitting a fixed pitch prop I have removed this oil line & blanked the fwd (crankcase) end with an NPT plug.

My question is. What hardware are you all using to blank the aft accessories end? My proposal is to blank the existing Lycoming 45 degree outlet elbow with an AN929-L6K Cap & lockwire this cap to the engine.

Grateful for your feedback.

Graham
New Zealand.

If you are removing the line and fitting, you may as well remove the gov. drive assembly from the back of the engine also. It is just un-necessary dead weight being wastefully driven by the engine.
Van's sells this cover for just that purpose.

Blanking plate

Graham I was recently in the same position with my D1A. The remains of the governor had become a source of oil leaks so were removed and replaced with a blanking plate similar to the one recommended by Scott. Benefits are no oil leaks, reduced weight and elimination of drag on the engine.

Mal

Whatever route you take----Remember to deal properly with the plug in the crankshaft.:) Larry

I would 2nd Gil's suggestion. Means the bung 6" down the crank does not have to be punctured and allows the swap back to c/s at some time in the future.
Pete

Okay so let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. I'm building my IO360M1B and want accessories to be on there for ease of future addition of a CS prop so I:

1. Install rear crank plug
  2. Install front crank plug
  3. Install prop gov adapter
  4. Install adapter cover plate with venting slot
  5. Install prop gov oil line
  6. Install FP prop for current use

Then at a future point in time all that is required is to:
  1. Remove front crank plug
  2. Install prop gov
  3. Install CS prop

Is this correct?

Okay so let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. I'm building my IO360M1B and want accessories to be on there for ease of future addition of a CS prop so I:

1. Install rear crank plug
  2. Install front crank plug
  3. Install prop gov adapter
  4. Install adapter cover plate with venting slot
  5. Install prop gov oil line
  6. Install FP prop for current use

Then at a future point in time all that is required is to:
  1. Remove front crank plug
  2. Install prop gov
  3. Install CS prop

Is this correct?

That is how Mahlon describes it in my previous link...:)

Back