What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Repair Update

BruceMe

Well Known Member
Back in May, I took on a damaged '96 RV-6 that flipped on landing. Prop, canopy, tail all destroyed with many more lightly damaged parts. Airframe is straight. The one aspect I didn't consider at purchse; this is a 20 year old airplane and it never really got proper mechanical TLC. So many small repairs.

Yesterday was a milestone. After checking over the engine including replacing the cam gear bolt/sheer washer, I put the engine back on the repaired engine mount and it looks like a plane again. yeah!

I'm still 2mo from first re-flight... if it's not too hot to work.

I'm journaling the experiance in my blog

Just checking-in. I'll post when I get ready to fly and fly again.

Progress

Bruce,
Glad to hear you are making steady progress even with the HEAT.
Appears the engine mount repair turned out fine.
Can you pop the brass plug back in USPS for me?
Thanks

Heading to the airport

Cowl is done and fits
Fuel tank is done
Engine is on and mostly installed
Canopy is fit
Fuselage rivets are repaired

I'd like to wrap up a number of small issue, then get it to the airport where it belongs next weekend.

15zm3vn.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
Looking good Bruce.

Just thought I would mention......
People are often posting that you should seal the end of the inlet ramps on your upper cowl to prevent an air leak from the high pressure (upper) to the low pressure (lower) side of the cooling plenum.

This is not necessary if baffle sides are trimmed to follow the inlet ramp shape.

I noticed that yours are not trimmed that way so sealing the inlet ramps on your cowl (if they aren't already) would be a good idea.

Curious... how did you?

Manage to get the old canopy off? I have just finished the epoxy fiberglass fairing on my RV 7 and cant imagine how difficult removing it would be.

Looking like you will fly soon though... great!

Manage to get the old canopy off? I have just finished the epoxy fiberglass fairing on my RV 7 and cant imagine how difficult removing it would be.

Looking like you will fly soon though... great!

Epoxy filler never bond well to Alunimum, it just chipped off easily in one big chunk with what was left of the front canopy.

Back