What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cork Gasket

shiney

Well Known Member
I cannot see on the plans what to do when finally installing the T708, I suspect that I proseal either side of the cork gasket but I'm looking for confirmation.

Shiney

Most people do not use the cork gasket. Over time it will become saturated and begin to "seep". I have used proseal only on many airplanes and never had a problem.

But do you use the same sealant for the access plate? I'm asking because on the Grummans they use a low adhesion sealant for the access covers so you can remove them without tearing them up. The high adhesion sealant is used to seal the wingskins/ribs/spar.

If you do have to get back inside the tank (the odds are astronomical, right?), wouldn't you want the low adhesion on the access plate?

8A- Interior ribs done on 1st tank!
Jerald

I use proseal on all plates. I have had to remove several because of service bulletins, bad senders, etc. Just start a sharp putty knife under the edge and drive it around the circumference. No problem.

removed one of each

i took both off for the s/b and i found one wasnt any different than the other..(cork v/s straight proseal) proseal them
on there. YMMV

IMHO: Do yourself a favor. Throw the cork gasket as far as you can and use proseal. This has been talked about for years and for the life of me I cannot understand why Vans still sends the gasket. They must have a huge amount of them. Also, use proseal only, for the sending unit and long term you will be glad you did. Sorry for the rant, but so many have had to replace the gaskets later on, what waste of energy! Larry

Hi Larry,

When you say use proseal for the sender unit, do you mean to throw away the rubber gasket or to proseal the gasket?

Shiney

yes

shiney said:
Hi Larry,

When you say use proseal for the sender unit, do you mean to throw away the rubber gasket or to proseal the gasket?

Shiney

the screws arent long enough with the gasket. (vans told me to throw mine away.)

Back