What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photo Sharing?

Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
I have a bunch of pix of a project and have tried both Snapfish and Shutterfly and find them un-userfriendly. Some of the good folks here must have found a decent, free, easy to use site. I used to like Picasa, but after Google grabbed it
doesn't seem to work well and I don't need to go back to software school, been there, done that.

Just need to be able to send folks a link and that's that, no fuss no muss.

Anyone?

Jerry

OneDrive?

I find OneDrive.live.com works just fine. Lots of free space and it allows easy publication of links. There's always Dropbox as well.

Here's a crazy idea... Doug should explore providing a file/ image server for this site. It would allow permanent archiving of photos for the knowledge base rather than depending on ephemeral third parties.

I'd be willing to give Doug the copyright for my images.

just tweet your pics?

This one was uploaded to twitter. I have been wondering if they could be hot-linked to VAF posts like this, you just encouraged me to try. Not sure if it will last but it seems like another alternative

Bq-y9trCcAEPwVf.jpg:large

I use SmugMug. I pay $60 a year and have unlimited storage of full resolution photos/videos. It seems like a good idea to me to actually pay for the hosting rather than depend on a free solution that might disappear.

I used to like Picasa, but after Google grabbed it
doesn't seem to work well and I don't need to go back to software school,

What issues are you having with Picasa? This album was done in 2007, and this one is in progress.

For the record, I'm just barely computer literate and have had no issues.

Tony

Photobucket

I have been using Photobucket for most of my VAF images. It is all I have used for the past 3 or 4 years. There is an iPad / iPhone app that allows you do upload directly then gives you the

Here's a crazy idea... Doug should explore providing a file/ image server for this site. It would allow permanent archiving of photos for the knowledge base rather than depending on ephemeral third parties.

I'd be willing to give Doug the copyright for my images.

Absolutely agree. The worst thing about this site (and there are not many bad things) is that being the wonderful communication tool that it is, it lacks longevity. So an excellent article on say, fiberglassing, with extremely helpful pictures, can be lost in a few months or years as the OP moves his/her pictures and the links no longer work. I archive these threads now that many have disappeared, but I can not see the future and miss many. There must be some way of capturing these outstanding teaching examples. The RVAtor used to be a place to collect builder hints, how to's etc, but this site has replaced it, albeit imperfectly, in this one sense.

So the question, what would it take to do this and allow this site to collect such outstanding how-to's (with pictures) for a library of sorts? It might encourage some of the best builders to document things here and collect more participating members. A members only area?

Just a thought I have been having.

I use Google+/Picasa. Very easy and lots of control with who you want to share the photos/albums with. Very user friendly.

Once you have the photo uploaded (you don't even have to use Picasa to do it) and tucked neatly into an album, you share it with whoever (the world, a group or one or two people). Of course you don't have to share it at all.

When you're posting a thread response and you need a picture, just open it up in Google+ (I save off the URL for all of my albums), open the picture, right mouse button to get properties and copy the url for the picture. Paste that URL into the thread using the picture icon and bingo!

I'd never want to give away the copyright to my images...

Here's a link to one of my albums.

Here's one link to a picture I took on my way to the airport to see another RV (whew I had to tie it in).

IMAG1182.jpg

Bob

I suspect Doug's bandwidth costs would go up by an order of magnitude if he hosted photos on VAF. It's already run on a shoestring budget, and the extra costs may be too much.

I still use Picasa, I have a number of albums back to the early 2000's. Google does everything they can to force you to use Google+ instead these days, which makes it much harder to link photos... They want you to share them from Google+ instead, so they get the email addresses of the people you're sharing with, and so those people have to go to Google+ to see them (and the associated ads). Linked photos don't generate ad revenue, which is why Google makes it difficult to find direct links to photos.

I suspect Doug's bandwidth costs would go up by an order of magnitude if he hosted photos on VAF. It's already run on a shoestring budget, and the extra costs may be too much.

I still use Picasa, I have a number of albums back to the early 2000's. Google does everything they can to force you to use Google+ instead these days, which makes it much harder to link photos... They want you to share them from Google+ instead, so they get the email addresses of the people you're sharing with, and so those people have to go to Google+ to see them (and the associated ads). Linked photos don't generate ad revenue, which is why Google makes it difficult to find direct links to photos.

See above, its easy enough to get the URL for the individual photo. I've never had an issue using this method.

Bob

Same dillema here

I have the same issue as well, and have been using google+/picasa for years.

While I am mostly happy with it, the changes that have been made to sharing are causing me to reevaluate as well.

The concern I have is the trick people are using with copying the URL of the image via the browser feels like a hack. And because it appears to be something unsupported there is a possibility that the format of the URL will change without notice and all of your shares will be broken. At least with the other solutions there is an official "share" post link that generates a supported URL directly to the image. I would love to be shown I am wrong here so I can continue using picasa comfortably.

Picassa / Google+ / etc.

You can revert back to the old picasa albums with the noredirect=1
Some will find it easier to link pictures than using Google+ albums.

Example:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos?noredirect=1

As far as general cloud storage goes, there's the regulars like Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive), and Dropbox. There's also Mega, and Barracuda Networks Copy.

There's also these photo sharing sites.
500px
Bayimg
Imigur

In addition to the usual, smugMug, Photobucket, and flickr.

Back