What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 GPH?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Question for you 180 hp drivers. What kind of gph do you get with the O-360?

CLimb and cruise I'm looking for. Thanks!

I guess it depends on how you fly it, but I usually climb at 12gph and cruise at 8gph.

Ditto...or close to those numbers. There can/will be some variation, but that is pretty normal for this engine. Of course if it's injected with E.I., and you like LOP, then you can sneak out a bit more as well.

Cheers,
Stein

75% power cruise properly leaned with carbureted O-360 stock compression standard mags burns 10 GPH, you can almost st your watch by it. With electronic ignition you will burn around a gallon an hour less at the same power settings. I have seen it written many times that with fuel injection you will burn a gallon an hour less, but I have no experience flying an injected -360. Injection and electronic ignition sounds like an awesome set-up and the -7 I am helping build has an EFII injected -360 with dual ECUs. Hoping to see 8 GPH or a little more at high power cruise.

Slight correction here

At 75% power and at the optimum BSFC an O360 will burn about 9.0 - 9.1 USGPH.
At 65% power and at the optimum BSFC an O360 will burn about 7.8 - 7.9 USGPH.

At takeoff full rated power, (sea level ISA) they should use about 17.5 GPH. This reduces in the climb as mass airflow reduces.

Hope that is helpful.

At 75% power and at the optimum BSFC an O360 will burn about 9.0 - 9.1 USGPH.
At 65% power and at the optimum BSFC an O360 will burn about 7.8 - 7.9 USGPH.

At takeoff full rated power, (sea level ISA) they should use about 17.5 GPH. This reduces in the climb as mass airflow reduces.

Hope that is helpful.

Pretty close to my experience. For reference, 75% LOP (9.5-10 gph) gives me about 175kts + in my RV-6. 65% is 160kts and 8.2 gph LOP.

I think someone else said, it depends on how you fly but a really safe bet would be at cruise settings your looking at 10 gph.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong (or right), but I typically see 6.5-7.5 gph leaned out in my 9 at ~8000-12000 feet. Climb, I don't recall but probably ~12-14 gph. Mine is injected, standard mags.

Greg

Have you looked at the Lycoming Operator's Manual?

It lists the numbers, which will be the same regardless of which aircraft the engine is installed in.

I'm in TX and my manual is in SC but one number I do remember is that an O-320 putting out 75% power will burn 9.6 GPH. That tells me an O-360 will burn over 10 GPH at 75% power, which is what I see the few times I have run my engine at that setting.

Depends....

With a 0-360 A1A in my Cherokee, 50 ROP, WOT in cruise at typical 7500 I would burn just a little over 10, flight plan 11.
Same engine in my Cozy with one PMAG one Slick and Bendix FI, running 50-75 LOP WOT at the same elevation will be around 8-8.2. (And 50 Kts faster:)
That's economy cruise, if I run it like I did my Cherokee at 50 ROP & WOT I'll see another 10 knots for my 2 gallons of flow.
Climb flow changes as I go up as I pull the mixture back to obtain the same EGT as what I saw in early climb out. So anywhere between 14.5 to a low of 7.5.

Remember when LOP use 14.9 X FF / rated power to get % power, and with EI and FI you really can just run WOT and set power with the mixture.

Tim

Not sure what I'm doing wrong (or right), but I typically see 6.5-7.5 gph leaned out in my 9 at ~8000-12000 feet. Climb, I don't recall but probably ~12-14 gph. Mine is injected, standard mags.

Greg

Greg, at those altitudes you are probably right, but there is no way you can develop 75% or even 65% power when LOP. You are in the 50-60% range.

My numbers are exactly the same

As RV10inOz ----- takeoff, climb, cruise (RV-6A, O360, FI, CS)

For trip planning I will plug in 10gph.

R.

Greg, at those altitudes you are probably right, but there is no way you can develop 75% or even 65% power when LOP. You are in the 50-60% range.

Correct, my Dynon is indicating around 55-60% power. I rarely see over ~75% power since I operate out of RTS starting at 5000 feet. Occasionally when I go to California at sea level I'm amazed at the climb rates I get there and do notice a significantly higher fuel burn but am usually climbing to get to altitude so don't cruise at those low altitudes.

Cheers,
Greg

IO-360 cruise numbers

The wifey and me prefers to cruise at 55% (21/2100) when we're doing X-country.
That slows us down alittle so the flight last longer, thus more fun! :D

With dual P-mags set to the B-curve and mix leaned until the LAST cylinder reaches 50*LOP, the FF is about 22 litres/hr, equals 5.8 USGLS/hr

If the winds at altitude is not a factor, we fly beetween 5 and 10.000'.
I've made up an easy way to find a cruise-altitude: we climb 1000' for every 10 min flying time.
For example: flying time 50 mins gives us 5000 for the cruise
Flying 1hr 20 mins gives us 8000' as cruising altitude (60+20 mins = 80)

f36oec.jpg

Suggestion for you, try not running so far LOP, try running at 10dF LOP and adjust your MP and RPM to get the same 133ktas at the same height.

I suspect your miles per gallon might improve a little. :)

Back