What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training in NorCal?

craigvince

Well Known Member
I have customer buying an RV-4 but he needs a tailwheel endorsement and transition training. Can anyone refer me to anyone in the NorCal area?

Red Sky Aviation in LVK can certainly do the tail wheel endorsement part, they have a number of taildraggers for rent. I don't know if any of their instructors are current in a -4.

Red Sky Aviation in LVK can certainly do the tail wheel endorsement part, they have a number of taildraggers for rent. I don't know if any of their instructors are current in a -4.

Thanks Bob. The problem is that his RV-4 does not have rear controls (only a stick) so he can't do the training in that airplane. He can get a tw endorsement in anything, but he still will need transition training for insurance and his peace of mind.

He can get a tw endorsement in anything,

I was suggesting a two part approach - TW endorsement from Red Sky, then find someone to give him transition training.

I know the OAK FISDO will give out LODAs for transition training in E-AB aircraft, but will not allow any other endorsements including TW.

I know the OAK FISDO will give out LODAs for transition training in E-AB aircraft, but will not allow any other endorsements including TW.

That makes for great logic. Why would the FAA agree to that? :)
We'll look into that. Thanks!

That makes for great logic. Why would the FAA agree to that? :)
We'll look into that. Thanks!

Logic? From the FAA?
They didn't want LODAs at all, but couldn't fight the logic that there was no other way to get transition training in an EAB except in an EAB. But their logic (it's explicit in my -10 LODA) is that if it can be done in a certified aircraft, then it cannot be done in an EAB (for hire - in his own plane it's a different story, of course). In my case, although a pilot receiving transition training in a -10 would certainly do all the things necessary for a flight review, or high performance endorsement, I am forbidden to sign those things off based on for-hire flight time in my -10.

Dale Combs in Los Banos

Dale Combs in Los Banos has a very nice self-built RV4 and he is a CFI II. He did a couple of bi-annuals for me, in 2006 and 2008. If you need his phone numbers, send me a private mail.

Back