What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How well are the GRT displays working out?

R. Daniels

Well Known Member
Looking at buying an RV with GRT EFIS and EMS. I just want to know of those using GRT's. How are they long term. Are they reliable. Any software glitches, screen lockups etc. I only have experience with AFS and Dynon.
Thanks for any input you may have.

Great upgrades too

My plane was built in 2005 with the EIS4000 and a 2 screen WS system. It is all 100% reliable. Now has almost 1000 hours and 8 years on it.

Only issue is that we started to get some dead pixels in the WS screen. Sent back to GRT and they upgraded to larger and better resolution HS screen for $600.

Along the way they added countless new software features including an autopilot functionality for free and the navigation databases are free.

Great company, great products.

Have the Sport. Only once did the screen go blank in 350 hours. Oh yeah that was when I pushed the brightness button and forgot how to get it back!!

Ha. NO ISSUES when used per instructions!!! Love how the screen looks in the direct sunlighjt!!!

My RV-8 has been flying with dual GRT's since 2005, and we have upgraded a couple of times as capabilities increased (from original WS's to HX's). We've had one screen fail in all that time - repair was on GRT, and it was quick. Far more reliable with no fuss than most any avionics I have ever used.

Dual screen Horizon WS, 7 years, 500 hours. One GPS module failure, one screen video cable (internal) fault.

GPS module was replaced with new and video cable replaced by GRT for $100 (minimum bench check charge).

No lock-ups or software glitches

I also had dual WS. Upgraded a year ago to dual HX. Love the units. Display with ADS is great. They are in the process of adding approach plates, sectionals and ifr enroute charts. Frequent (free) software upgrades. Highly recommend. No failures of any kind in over 4 years.

Run

RUN as fast as you can! :rolleyes:

Straight to GRT - LOL :D

I have had 2 planes with GRT's with EXCELLENT customer service. Updates regularly and easy to use. I can recommend enough the products and more important the company.

Last edited:
One more super happy customer. Its been 5 years and nearly 500 hours of trouble free on my dual screen GRT. The functionality gets only better and better with new futures and SW upgrades. I am excited to see what the new futures will be added to the new SW release that we have been waiting for.

Yep ... me too ...

Dual Sport set-up .... works flawlessly. No lockups or problems in 2 yrs of installation and 110hrs of flying time. Has more features than I have time to learn. :) Factory support has been great.

I had a 3 screen setup and one of the display units started have some strange, maybe heat related, highly intermittent issues. I sent it in with as much info as possible since I understand how hard intermittent issues can be to track down. I got a call a few days later saying it was fixed... I then asked to talk directly to the tech since I kind of expected a "cannot duplicate, works fine" note to come back with the unit. Imagine my surprise when he explained that they had a shaker table and some sort of heat setup for environmental testing and were able to reproduce the problem! They found the issue, fixed it and returned the unit to me all within about a week. Only cost to me was one-way shipping of the unit to them!

Great company, great people, great products!

Bob

Just Fine

I have 483 hours since 2008 on dual H1 screens, single AHRS, and everything is still working as advertised; no issues.

Add me to the list of happy GRT users.

Only issue IMHO, is the operation manual----written for techies, not real people------------but Katie is updating them, and open to input from users:D

Excellent guys, thanks for all of the feedback. I've haven't had ANY experience with a GRT system (actually have never even seen one before)and just wanted to feel comfortable with an RV purchase. It's comforting to know their is such good factory support too. Thank you so much!

-----I've haven't had ANY experience with a GRT system (actually have never even seen one before)-----

You have an 8 flying, correct?? Fly it down to O61.

I am only an hour away, stop by and I will give you the tour of my GRT setup.

Also, I may be going to Willows------Nancy's for breakfast this Sat-------could meet you there??

Last edited:
I had one of the first GRT Horizon 1 units in my Rocket, first flight in 2004. Worked great. Very happy.

GRT is going into the RV-6 that I'm now building.

Back