What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Induction Pipe Seal

Jim P

Well Known Member
I have a Superior XP-360 by AeroSport, and have had a higher EGT on #3 at idle or when I pull the power to idle, and suspected a small induction leak. Doing the oil change I noticed a couple drops of oil pooled in the bottom of the sump flange where the intake pipe is pressed into the sump. I'm having a tough time finding the part number for that pipe seal. Anyone happen to have a parts-break down for that?

Doing the oil change I noticed a couple drops of oil pooled in the bottom of the sump flange where the intake pipe is pressed into the sump.

What you are seeing is an induction leak as suspected. It is not engine oil from the sump, it is excess fuel and intake guide oil resting at the bottom of the intake tube after shut down and migrating around the pressed in flange, not o-ringed. I have had the same problem and the cure for me was cleaning the sump flange tube where it goes into the sump with carb cleaner and compressed air. Then putting a small bead of JB weld in the cavity around the sump flange and the using an old induction tube rubber to press it in for a complete seal. Wipe off excess and let cure.

I?ll be flying the Supercharged SA750 into KOSH
info: link http://www.g3ignition.com/images/AirVenture-2013.jpg
See ya there

Lycoming shops rent a swaging tool you can use to reswage an existing induction tube or to install a new tube. The tube is inexpensive. The tool IS expensive, and rents for $50-$100 if you find a shop that'll loan you theirs.

I went through this process to fix a minor induction leak last year.

Back