What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any tool suggestions....?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
See the attached pic of the forward elevator tube at the control linkage under the seats. I'm stumped with how to get this done. I really wish this step had been in the plans before the fuel lines were run. Any suggestions? I'd buy a tool I don't know about in 3 seconds to avoid the contortion that this represents....

adf3o3.jpg

To tighten the bolt? Looks like a 3/8 ratcheting box end and a 5/16 box end would take 30 seconds. The ratcheting box end wrenches are so cheap now, those would be very high on my tool list.

I was at this same point 2 days ago. What I ended up doing was to use several extensions on my smallest, ratchet wrench which brought the handle to a 'bay' to the left that allowed me to swing the handle sufficiently and then just held the wrench on the head. Was easy to do and could even get my smallest, torque wrench in there for the final setting. I have my RV14 on a rotisserie but found it easier to just sit in the cockpit; right over the tube.

Sometimes we just need a prod in the right direction. I put my extensions on with a flexible extension in the middle. Went fine! I thank all of you here again and again. The little washer wrench I discovered here was very useful in all this too.

Back