What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting bottom of bulkhead F-01411

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don E

Well Known Member
I've searched and can't find anything on this, so here is my question. I building a taildragger, and have riveted the U-00018 tail spring housing to bulkhead F-1412; and have riveted Bulkhead F-1412 to the rear fuselage skin F-01479. I have carefully inserted that assembly into the aft fuselage structure. Now it is a LONG way down there to buck or back rivet the bottom of bulkhead F-01411 and especially the rivets on each side closest to the tail spring housing which is bolted to that bulkhead. Has anyone done this? Suggestions much appreciated. Thank you. I am a first time builder, so I seem to struggle with a lot of things... and appreciate all the help in this forum.

That is a particularly tough place to rivet. All I can say is go slow, use the best bucking bar you can find for that particular rivet and take your time.

Good luck

Two words...

Get help. It was beyond my average skills to do this part alone. A proficient helper will make it fairly easy. Check with your local EAA chapter or local builders for help. They have all been there, done that.

I'm building the 14A, but still the same issue applied with mine. All I can say is that you will need help. It is not possible to do by yourself, so I recommend someone that you trust to hold the bucking bar appropriately. It is such a tight fit that once their hand is in there they won't be able to see the rivet while it's being driven. And be ready to drill out the bad ones and start over again. I guarantee that will be necessary, particularly with that thick skin and the way the rivet sits in the dimple.
Good luck; it is doable.
In my opinion, this part of the fuselage (so far for me-I'm still on the empennage) takes a pounding. There are doubled bulkheads, stiffeners, longerons, and overlapping skins so this part of the plane just gets beat to death with all the edge breaking and riveting so close together. It's also really strong. I think you could park a car on this part of the fuselage without crushing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back