What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will EMagAir actually ship their 6 Cylinder PMag at OSH?

Will the 6-cylinder Pmag ship at OSH in 2012?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So, it appears its been going on for year after year, but will this be the year that emagair finally ships their 6 cylinder version?

I will believe it when I see it.

They had a six cyl unit at the show last year, it looked like a production unit, not a prototype, and told me they should be available by the first of the year.

Luckily, the Lasar is still sparking happily along still.

I really do wish they would come out with the six cyl P-Mag.

If you are going to be at Osh, ask them if you can put in an order for the units. Also, go by the Barrett booth, and see what the status of their electronic ignition system is.

Last edited:
I think they will - I HOPE they will ;)

It's been a long time coming and has been promised "soon" for the last 18 months or so. Fortunately my timescale has been able to accomodate the delay........

Looks like the answer is no

I?m at Oshkosh where we are showing the ?final? form of the new six cylinder model. I will try to get some photos up on the web site soon.

When I get back, we need to finish testing and tool for production. So we?re far off at this point.

Kindest Regards,
Not sure if he meant "NOT far off", or truly "FAR OFF"

2-3 months

I was talking to Brad yesterday and he said 2-3 months and they would ship them out. First to the guys on 'the list'. When asked about price, he said he didn't have final figure, but would honor the $1450 (ignition, harness, adaptors) as originally promised. After they made a 'batch' they would adjust the price. My impression was that the $1450 was a low figure, so if your thinking about it, might be time to get on 'the list! '

Well that is certainly more specific than his response, I think they said almost the same thing last year at Osh.

But to hedge my bet, I've been on the "the list" for about 6 months now.

Any update?

Anyone hear an update on the release of the 6 cyl P-mag? 7 months ago it was 2-3 months away and then "not far" off.

Spoke with them a month ago and they said no immediate ETA. Likely "several more months" away. They didn't want to elaborate on timeline better or what the remaining issues are.

Asked them yesterday January 18, and the answer was "We are trying to finish it up pretty soon. "

Resurrected thread #2.

Anybody going to check into the status of the long promised unit at OSH???

EFII for 6 cylinder

Hi Bill,
We have very high quality dual ignitions for 540s available now.
Robert Paisley

I guess I don't get why anyone would want to wait on an ignition unit just because it mounts in a mag hole and clearly by the amount of posts here indicating their poor reliability on other engines, is not as reliable as other offerings with much better service history.

Bob, the reason I am interested in them is the self powered feature, combined with the advantages of electronic ignition systems in general.

....... and in the UK, Pmags are the only electronic ignition to be approved for a dual installation.

I built an RV-10, flew it for a year, sold it and am now building an RV-8a during the time I was on the waiting list for this promised product.

Tom Hanaway

I guess I don't get why anyone would want to wait on an ignition unit just because it mounts in a mag hole and clearly by the amount of posts here indicating their poor reliability on other engines, is not as reliable as other offerings with much better service history.

Poor reliability? I think if you were to do a survey of failures to the numbers flown, you would find their reliability is not poor. I did an informal survey of our local EAA lunch and the number of Pmags is astonishing. Sure, some have had issues but then so do every other ignition including standard old boring cold sparking fuel wasting mags.

Everyone, I mean everyone, that I know personally that have had them, have had problems where they had to be sent back in for repair. Heat and vibration are the worst enemy for electronics, and bolting an entire ignition assembly to an engine is asking when, not if, for a failure to occur.

The 540 has a 1.5:1 drive ratio on the mag drive and there is too much ringing in the drivetrain. This is an insurmountable problem to have a small enough gear train to maintain reference to #1 TDC and not have timing resolution problems. Others have tried and have not been successful. The only reliable solution on the 540 is a crank trigger pickup and there are many more reliable ignition options there that use such a design. A diode and a small 6AH battery is more than adequate to self power a unit.

Last edited:
The 540 has a 1.5:1 drive ratio on the mag drive

Bob, please explain this.

I can not get my head around how a mag could be firing at that ratio--------it would have the plugs firing at the top of the exhaust stroke every other revolution, and not the top of the compression stroke??????

The spark------which is delivered by the mag-------must occur once every two revolutions, not every one-and-a-half. Thus a 2:1 drive ratio between the crank and the ignition is required.

Mike, easy...the mag rotor is internally geared back up 1:1.5, so the mag is indexed to TDC. The mass of the system is what makes it work, along with the rubber couplers in the magneto drive gears. Numerous EI manufacturers have tried mag hole pickup units and couldn't make them work reliably on the 540. Hence why the 540 EMag has "been in development" for years. It will likely be that way in perpetuity.

EFII Osh discount

I just sent Doug Reeves some text to put up on the Group Buy/Discounts page.
Robert

EFII Oshkosh 2013 Special

EFII_logo_small.jpg

We have posted an Osh 2013 special.
Just go to our home page: www.flyefii.com

Robert Paisley

I stopped by their booth this morning. Story is only slightly different than last year. He said that they're still in testing but making forward progress. He also said that he's been telling people "we won't take deposits until product is ready". Apparently they're going to go through their interest list and ask for small deposits "to see who is serious". Finally, he mentioned that the tooling, gearing up, etc. is significantly different from what they've previously done.

So, that's the latest.

Bob

This is all quite funny. I heard the same thing from then in 2011 when I attended. I started this thread for OSH 2012! Some things never change.

I stopped by their booth this morning. Story is only slightly different than last year. He said that they're still in testing but making forward progress. He also said that he's been telling people "we won't take deposits until product is ready". Apparently they're going to go through their interest list and ask for small deposits "to see who is serious". Finally, he mentioned that the tooling, gearing up, etc. is significantly different from what they've previously done.

So, that's the latest.

Bob

That's extremely disappointing :mad: The Pmag has been a great innovation but the P200 has been a sad story with rolling delays and promises of "anytime soon" for the best part of 2 years. I have all the wiring in and am basically waiting for it to be released. If I have to revert to mags I am going to be VERY upset.....

Osh is 6 weeks out or so, thought it was time to wake up this old thread.

Anybody out there heard any scuttlebutt on the expected arrival date??

A bunch of Cardinal guys with the Dual-Mag O-360 have been holding their breath for E-mag's solution for that application... I've just finally settled on it being vaporware.

Osh is 6 weeks out or so, thought it was time to wake up this old thread.

Anybody out there heard any scuttlebutt on the expected arrival date??

Yeah, Mike, I heard they'll be ready to ship on Tuesday! :p

Sounds like a dive bar that used to be down the road from here that always had a sign out that said "Free beer tomorrow!"

A few months ago, Brad contacted people on "The List", that is those who have expressed a long-term interest. The news was that he was tooling up for production so I had rather hoped that a release announcement would be made at Oshkosh.........

We still live in hope :rolleyes:

I stopped by the booth, picked up their sample and asked if they were ready to ship yet? The answer: "No but their in production"

Turning blue yet?

I just sent the following message to the Emag folks.

Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:10 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 6 cylinder

Anything new on the availability of the unit for a Lyc 540????

Mike Starkey

And, here is their reply.

We hope to start ramping production in January.

Never trust ANYTHING I say with regard to production and release dates.

Brad Dement
E-MAG Ignitions
2014 Greg Street, Suite 112
Azle, TX 76020

Note the use of "January" --------- not next January or January 2015. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I wish them success and hope the units get on the market soon------give them time to establish a track record before my Lasar dies and I need to choose a replacement.

This reply aligned with a similar inquiry of mine. Back in August/sept, they replied production would begin just after the new year. Let's hope.

OK, here we are looking at the start of the 2015 flyin season. SnF is right around the corner... Anybody have any new intel?

Hold your breath if you want, but make sure you have emergency services nearby.

I'm a huge fan of their current products and customer service, but this particular product development cycle is starting to give the Moller Skycar a run for its money.

I'm number 316 on their waiting list. Placed my position during the first year of my build. Took me 5 years to complete. Flew the 10 for a year then sold it.
I'm now about three months from completing an rv8a.

Gives you an idea of how long this has been going on.

Tom H.

Ps. Using two p-mags for my 8.

Back