What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B equipage rate / percentage

maus92

Well Known Member
I fly in the Washington DC metro area, and I am quite surprised by the relatively low percentage of ADS-B Out enabled aircraft (<50%) I see when just flying around contributing to global warming. The deadline is 6 months away. I've noticed that a larger percentage of EAB aircraft seem to be equipped compared to certificated aircraft. How does my observation compare to other areas in the country?

You are making this observation by seeing N number on traffic screen Vs. no N number - meaning transponder only?

Take the airspace type into consideration

Don't forget ADSB out is not required in a huge amount of airspace. If you do not require Mode C, you do not need ADSB out even next year is pretty close.

I fly a lot of XC and I would agree that the traffic I'm seeing is only about 50% equipped. I did a quick roundtrip from Midland to Little Rock last week and I think I only saw 5 or 6 that were equipped, definitely less than half.

You are making this observation by seeing N number on traffic screen Vs. no N number - meaning transponder only?

The area is densely covered by TIS, so you can easily differentiate between ADS-B targets and TIS targets. It's rare to see non-transponder equipped aircraft in this area because of the airspace.

Cleared for the option...

I fly in the Washington DC metro area, and I am quite surprised by the relatively low percentage of ADS-B Out enabled aircraft (<50%) I see when just flying around contributing to global warming. The deadline is 6 months away. I've noticed that a larger percentage of EAB aircraft seem to be equipped compared to certificated aircraft. How does my observation compare to other areas in the country?

As mentioned above, much depends on your location and your mission. I personally don’t plan to install it right away. I fly in required airspace for my day job and don’t need do it in my spare time. Again, much of the continental US airspace is outside ADSB required use.
To whit...

V/R
Smokey

PS: Our F16 squadron had a quote painted on one of our briefing room walls:
The Airspace belongs to those who are willing to fight for it....

Last edited:
"PS: Our F16 squadron had a quote painted on one of our briefing room walls:
The Airspace belongs to those who are willing to fight for it...."

Unfortunately the two main groups that represent pilots and homebuilders didn't see it that way and I'm afraid many individual pilots don't either.

In memory of freedoms given up willingly. Enjoy your Fourth of July.

Hans

I'm kind of hoping Uavionix comes out with a 1090 version of their tail beacon.. I want to do some flying in Mexico, so the 978 stuff just doesn't work for me (I think).

ADSB

This whole ADSB only works sometimes. I came through Montana and Wyoming where radar coverage is very sparse, especially at low altitude. I get a letter from the FAA ADSB focus group that my ADSB doesn?t work. Where I live in Texas radar coverage is weak below 3000 AGL. I?m beginning to lose faith in the whole system.

This whole ADSB only works sometimes. I came through Montana and Wyoming where radar coverage is very sparse, especially at low altitude. I get a letter from the FAA ADSB focus group that my ADSB doesn?t work. Where I live in Texas radar coverage is weak below 3000 AGL. I?m beginning to lose faith in the whole system.

Here is the FAA Coverage Map for ADS-B. There are some areas that do not have coverage below 5,000. Click on the altitude button at the top of the map to see what coverage exists.

I put ADS-B out in my airplane in May. The ADS-B data out allows me to track my airplane just as well as my 2-meter ham radio APRS.

Suspected, now verified.....

I recently completed the installation of my GDL-82 system in my -9A. I flew the test flight and received the status report on Friday. 4 in the green.
Here's the thing. That afternoon, my friend was able to view my flight path on his phone using the ForeFlight app. Later that evening I viewed my flight on my laptop on flightaware.com. Just enter your N number.
There's no hiding anymore.

Your broadcasted identity is your choice

Your GDL-82 is capable of anonymous mode. You can choose if your identifying information is broadcast or not. There is a thread here concerning anonymous mode if you are unfamiliar.

I've read the threads but decided not to enable the anonymous mode feature at this time. It was nice knowing that I was "visible" to other planes in our flight out to the pancake breakfast last Saturday.

I've read the threads but decided not to enable the anonymous mode feature at this time. It was nice knowing that I was "visible" to the other planes in our flight out to the pancake breakfast last Saturday.

You are still visible to "in" displays in anonymous mode, but

your tail number and ICAO number are not transmitted to ATC. I personally do not use A-M, but some prefer to use it.

Ron

I've read the threads but decided not to enable the anonymous mode feature at this time. It was nice knowing that I was "visible" to the other planes in our flight out to the pancake breakfast last Saturday.

"Anonymous" does not equal "invisible". Two different terms, as specified in a dictionary. You are still "visible" to your buddies and ATC with anonymous enabled. They just can't look up who you are and where you live.

With the GDL 82, if you install an anonymous switch, it is just that. A selector switch. You are not committing to either anonymous or identity. You are merely making that choice selectible to the pilot at his whim. Nothing more than a privacy "opt out" with no sacrifice to either safety or visibility.

Jim

Back