VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Electronic Ignition Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 03:20 PM

Default I Just Converted From Pmags to a CPI-2 Ignition

I just removed my Pmags and installed an SDS CPI-2 ignition on my RV-9a with a carburated Lycoming O235-L2C engine. There were many reasons for this conversion. Primary for me was to have an easily programmable controller to modify the RPM and MAP advance curves for my engine and to reduce CHTs. I also wanted an ignition that would not lose its reference to TDC or require a yearly removal and inspection.

I started with the conservative RPM-MAP advance curve that came with the ignition. This curve, which is essentially about 25 deg BTDC with the ability to press the LOP button to advance the curve another 1-5 deg when cruising at higher altitudes. Previously I had to set the canned timing curve 5-10 deg ATDC rather than TDC just to decrease CHTs. I have only flown with the CPI-2 twice so I don't have a lot of data to report at this time, but will report my observations soon. My #4 cylinder was always about 30-40 deg F hotter than the rest and baffle changes had little effect on temperature. I was always having to compensate for high CHTs as I slowly climbed to cruising altitude. I installed a Dynon HDX system last year. At the same time I installed a 6.2ah, 2.2 lb, LiFePO4, EarthX backup battery which will provide about 45 minutes of reserve power for the ignition and essential avionics in case the alternator and the main battery fail. The backup battery is isolated from the Master buss and supplies power to the avionics buss through two large schottke diodes in parallel. It is normally switched ON during flight, so reserve power is instantly supplied if the Master voltage is interrupted.

During my first flight with the CPI-2, the engine ran fine as I climbed at 1100 fpm from sea level to 5000 feet and the highest #4 CHT observed was 389 deg verses the previous 415 deg that I was used to dealing with. All CHTs and the range of temperatures were lower. I was expecting lower CHTs and was delighted to observe them.

I have been planning this conversion for about a year waiting for the CPI-2 to get released into production and to accumulate some flight time. I have called SDS on numerous occasions to ask many questions and always got a helpful response. SDS was very supportive after the purchase answering questions and mailing me parts usually with one day delivery. The installation was a little complicated but not difficult. Here are a few photos of the installation showing the dual Hall Effect sensor triggered by magnets mounted in the flywheel and the the dual ECU mounted under the throttle quadrant which is out of the way but easy to get at.

Last edited by mfshook62 : 01-25-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added note for backup battery
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Pmqg

How many people have had a pmag loose itís reference to TDC?
RV-9A FlyingĖ340 hours!
Last Donation: December 2019
Old 01-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
How many people have had a pmag loose itís reference to TDC?
I hade the same question. I have duel P-mags and have not had any issues with timing drift.
1978 PA38-112
Old 01-12-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
How many people have had a pmag loose it’s reference to TDC?
Plenty. It was one of the major operational hurdles the company had to work through. It's caused by both software and mechanical issues - the latter being one of the reasons you are required to remove and inspect the unit every CI.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale

Last edited by Toobuilder : 01-12-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:23 PM

I think (knock on wood) the loss of timing was an issue in early PMAGS that has been documented and corrected with the current versions of hardware and firmware. I have 250 hours on a dual PMAG setup and have been very happy with their performance to date.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:44 PM

Thanks for posting your pix and experiences here Mike. Installation looks good and easy to get to the ECU.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 437.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Plenty.
That issue was corrected YEARS ago. My dual P-Mags (2013 installation, +500hrs) have never lost their timing.

mfshook62: your install looks great.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDrvr View Post
I think (knock on wood) the loss of timing was an issue in early PMAGS that has been documented and corrected with the current versions of hardware and firmware. I have 250 hours on a dual PMAG setup and have been very happy with their performance to date.
Indeed, that demon seems to have been tamed for the most part, but not eliminated. There are still very real mechanical issues that every Pmag owner needs to check for. Bearing condition and magnet position being the big ones. This requires removal of each ignition to inspect once every year, and this high level of preventative maintenance is simply not required on the CPI system. The essentially maintenance free aspect of the CPI is a product discriminator for SDS.

Pmags need to be removed from the engine and inspected on the bench once a year to ensure continued operation. In contrast, SDS is an "install and forget" system with zero moving parts. That's what the OP is getting at.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 PM

Do folks up-armor the 2 wires coming off the red pickup sensor to the baffles?

Fan belt failure tearing a wire loose has happened, right?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Do folks up-armor the 2 wires coming off the red pickup sensor to the baffles?

Fan belt failure tearing a wire loose has happened, right?
I sure do. There are provisions to attach various clamps and shields to the mount just for that purpose and most that I've seen do just that. The SDS pickup and mount themselves would withstand blows from a framing hammer. It's a simple thing to eliminate the thrown belt scenario as a viable risk.

Michael Robinson

Last edited by Toobuilder : 01-12-2020 at 08:53 PM.