What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Video - GoPro Technology in Flight

I mounted a GoPro 2 under my wing on my Bonanza several years ago and recorded a flight down the Hudson River. It was awful with the jello effect and vibration. I wish I'd had something like the Go Pro 8 then...oh well

Footage

I have tons of useless footage from older cameras that were priceless at the time. I might post a couple air-air refueling photos if I can convince myself my bosses won't freak out

I have a GoPro Here 7 that has really good image stabilization. Does anyone know if there is anything in the Hero 8 that would justify an upgrade?

Thanks

Not really

The gopro7 is very good. While the 8 is better at stabilization the major upgrades are the external mount. You no longer need a case to mount it due to embedded mountain tabs. I actually prefer the 7 for audio as I mentioned in my previous video.

Did you lose the skinny camera on the left wing that was there in flight but not on landing?

What a big difference between the 2 and the 8 !! It got me so worried after seeing how smooth the 8 is that I went searching for some of my recent videos and found them to be not as smooth as the 8 but about 300% better than the 2. I'm still trying to convince myself into buying a GoPro but for my homemade videos for now I'm happy with my obsolete $100 Sony ActionCams :):D:D:)

Outstanding Comparison, nicely edited.

So - - what is the technical difference between the two? I notice the jelly is gone but the prop is straight with the 8, so the Frame rate must be faster or the start to finish scan speed is faster. Are these quantified in the specs so other devices can be compared?

So - - what is the technical difference between the two? I notice the jelly is gone but the prop is straight with the 8, so the Frame rate must be faster or the start to finish scan speed is faster. Are these quantified in the specs so other devices can be compared?

:D I had to go back and watch it again because I hadn't noticed the prop. You're right, with the 2 it has the typical bent prop but with the 8 it looks like they're straight. Weird :)

The GoPro 8 stabilization is awesome! Sadly, it doesn't have a built-in GPS. Also, I don't think prop filters are available for the 8. Am I wrong?

Hmmm

That?s the 360 cam I?ve been researching, that?s why I wanted to compare with the GoPro 8. Any other videos where you compare both?

I just got a new insta360 one R and may compare the 2. The insta360 one x doesn?t have the stabilization of the GoPro8. Really the 360 camera is for the dynamic effect. We?ll see how the one R compare but suspect it?s very good.

Mounting

I like the shots with the top view of the plane in the picture. Very unique. How are you mounting it ? I assume this is on the vertical stabilizer? Is there a special mount you are using here?

I just got a new insta360 one R and may compare the 2. The insta360 one x doesn’t have the stabilization of the GoPro8. Really the 360 camera is for the dynamic effect. We’ll see how the one R compare but suspect it’s very good.

We already see the GoPro2 is horrible so hopefully you compare the current models GoPro8 and Insta360 R instead.

Back