VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-12-2020, 06:54 PM

Default Skyview issues

i have a Dynon Skyview classic installed in my RV9A , first flight was in 2015, the total flight time of the machine and ll components is about 50 hours ,
after close to two years of it sitting in a hangar , waiting to finish the paint job ,
i finally started the engine and taxied around the airport yesterday for about 45 minutes , i did a condition inspection last week and everything checked out ok ,
now , when i started the engine yesterday , it took a couple of tries ( 6 or rvrn 7 times till it started ) i noticed the voltage going down to 11 volts , with an audible alarm ( Low Voltage )
i started taxiing then i noticed the sky view rebooting , it did it 4 time yesterday , in the first 30 minutes , then it was normal till shut down .
today , i went again to fix a loose comm wire , i decided to start and taxi again , same thing , the dynon was rebooting the while time , it would stay on for about 3 minutes then it abruptly shuts down and restarts , todays taxi was about 30 minutes total .
there was a box in the bottom that showed that some events have been recorded and need to be transferred to a USB and sent to dynon, i didn't have a USB with me today but i will certainly do it tomorrow .
Any ideas on what would be the reason for this ? or has anyone experienced something similar with their sky view ?
by the way i have a single Unit only .
thanks for your replies
Old 01-12-2020, 06:58 PM

Default Dynon

You need to talk to Dynon tech support tomorrow. They have always been very responsive to my questions.
Guthrie-Edmond Rgnl, OK (KGOK)
________
Old 01-12-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibirsky View Post
i noticed the voltage going down to 11 volts , with an audible alarm ( Low Voltage )
thanks for your replies
Start trouble shooting here. Voltage should be 14 + volts. Could be a high resistance somewhere(circuit breaker, wiring, etc) but first Id verify the alternator is on-line.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Start trouble shooting here. Voltage should be 14 + volts. Could be a high resistance somewhere(circuit breaker, wiring, etc) but first Id verify the alternator is on-line.
+1

Sounds like there is something wrong with input power to the SkyView.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-12-2020, 08:20 PM

I would agree you have a voltage issue most likely and not a skyview issue.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 PM

Installing a Dynon backup battery may help troubleshoot. It would have the added benefit of keeping the Dynon powered up during start if the voltage drops. Then the logging will continue during your power issues also.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
...but first Id verify the alternator is on-line.
Been there - done that before the first flight too.

The first time I was doing a fuel cal. I forgot to turn the alternator on during the taxi to the bowser, coupled with a vac-pad alternator that is marginal on the ground at the best of times it wasn't one of my finer moments.

Cue a dead battery when I tried to get home from the bowser.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 AM

Thanks you all for your replies .
The Alternator is just fine , once the engine is running the voltage goes up to 14 ,
I also have a backup battery for the sky view , I will try and get that log loaded into a USB today and send it to Dynon .
Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM

I read that all this was after sitting 2 years? If so, the Dynon backup battery is discharged. During the start your main battery voltage drops to the point the Skyview reboots. Go into the Skyview setup and check the status of your backup battery. Probably shows low voltage before the engine start. If the battery is still good it may take a couple flying hours to recharge it fully.
Hope this is the only problem.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Good catch dlloyd3. I didn't notice it had been sitting for 2yrs so it makes total sense what you describe.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com