Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Default Pre-heating on winter cross-country flight.

I'm planning a cross country flight and thinking of ways to pre-heat my engine. I don't want to limit myself to airports with FBO's where I may rent pre-heating equipment. I do have a sump heater. I'm considering bringing an extension cable and plugging in the heater whenever there's an outlet available.
Wondering how others handle this problem.
Jim
Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM

One of these heaters and a dryer hose taped over it.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lasko-200-W...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then a power supply like this. This is only a 100 watt power supply but there are bigger ones.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791Y1WSQ...t_b_asin_title

Short of something like that...

Just stick a propane torch up the exhaust for 5 mins.
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 12-12-2019, 02:17 PM

Hair blow dryer with a bit of scat tubing and extension cord is what I use because it will heat up entire engine relatively quickly. Your sump pad should do the same but will probably just take longer.

Still it is a bit of a pain having to rely on availability of electricity.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2021
Old 12-12-2019, 03:56 PM

If I am flying C.C. in the winter I carry an extension cord. You can almost always find somewhere to plug-in.
Another alternative (if you are getting a rental car) is to carry a section of flexible dryer vent duct. It stores in a small/light space and can be run from a car exhaust to the cowling.
1978 PA38-112
Old 12-12-2019, 06:01 PM

I suggest getting an extension cord with the lighted ends to indicate power is available.
Many years ago on a snowy night, I arrived at a small airport and quickly ran the cords, covered the engines and was on my way in the crew car.
Returned the next morning and found the ramp outlet was not working causing a delay till the temps came up.
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpansier View Post
I suggest getting an extension cord with the lighted ends to indicate power is available.
Many years ago on a snowy night, I arrived at a small airport and quickly ran the cords, covered the engines and was on my way in the crew car.
Returned the next morning and found the ramp outlet was not working causing a delay till the temps came up.

ditto, extension cord with a light

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 12-13-2019, 09:09 AM

I WOULD NOT use a car exhaust to preheat my engine. You are introducing all sorts of contaminants into the engine compartment including moisture.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 300+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Heated hangar.
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkuzme1 View Post
Just stick a propane torch up the exhaust for 5 mins.
That's a new one, simple - I like it! Stainless exhaust wouldn't be damaged, most heat will be lost via radiation & convection inside the cowl before reaching the cylinders so I can't imagine you could damage an exhaust valve doing this. Probably just need to make sure the torch is up far enough that you don't make the exhaust adjacent the cowl exit glow red hot and burn the cowl in that area. You would be adding quite a bit of water condensate to the exhaust and maybe even some into a cylinder if its valve is open but you would just blast it out when the engine starts.

Has anybody who has done this report on how well it works? Any issues? This is a lot simpler, lighter, and less bulky than the propane heater with 12 VDC blower I carry for this purpose. Faster than electric and no need for access to 120 VAC power.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous menů for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence

Last edited by Noah : 12-13-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:45 PM

A hangar neighbor came up with a great portable pre-heater.

He took a chunk of galvanized heat ducting and cut two oval holes in its sides, stood the heat duct up over a plywood base that features a mount for a computer fan. A pair of bicycle water bottle holders were added... they hold the pair of propane torches that blow their heat into the heating duct, which is then blown upward by the battery-powered computer fan. A duct reducer allowed connection of 4" SCAT tubing to duct the heat up into the engine cowl. The whole thing weighs maybe 5lbs with a pair of full 1lb propane cylinders.

Warm-up time on a C172 was reported to be 20-30 minutes on a Canadian winter morning.