Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-15-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Meyer View Post
I was with you until the KLN-94 came into the picture.

Why not buy a 430W for $6k and ditch the rest? You will have a modern radio with the added capability of LPV approaches. The install with be more simple and the radio is light years more reliable than Narco stuff. You donít need a MB.

B
Why an old 430W when for $2000 less you can buy a new GPS-175? We can play this game all night. The problem is you get what you pay for. People are updating their panels every day, you just have to wait for the right deal to show up and have cash ready for it.
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Meyer View Post
I was with you until the KLN-94 came into the picture.

Why not buy a 430W for $6k and ditch the rest? You will have a modern radio with the added capability of LPV approaches. The install with be more simple and the radio is light years more reliable than Narco stuff. You donít need a MB.

B
GNS430W is a good unit, but:
- it cost $4K more than KLN-94 + ~ $1K more for the indicator.
- does it has "dual watch" capability and built in intercom? If not, you still need a second com + audio panel = complexity and extra $$$$.
- you still want a second VOR, so maybe NAV-121 will do since GNS430 has GS.
At the end, you will pay much more, take more panel space, add complexity. Sure, you gain LPV, but my assumption was that all I need is LIGHT IFR. So, KLN-94 + NAV-122 will do for NAV.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
If you have to keep spare radios just buy something new because a hotel and food and expenses will cost more if you get stuck away from home a couple of nights because the outdated stuff failed and you just have a thin layer you can't get through to get home.
We are talking about light IFR, aren't we? The probability that both NAV-122 and KLN-94 fail simultaneously is pretty low, unless you have a total electrical failure (than your newest GPS is down as well). I guess you can take off in light clouds with either KLN-94 or NAV-122 operational and you can land using either ILS or non-precision GPS approach.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
LMAO !!!!

That's what I would change. Narco went out of business and nobody wants to fix them. I went the same soft IFR route but installed a VAL INS-429 because it's a modern, current radio that does exactly what the NAV-122 does but better. The Narco NAV-122 is all mechanical while the INS-429 is all digital and VAL is a solid company still making various radios.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../valINS429.php

If you just want to save money and still want to buy something obsolete instead of buying a NAV-122 buy a Terra TRI-NAV for about $600.

You can pay now or pay later with the King KLN-94. For a couple thousand $$ more I'd buy a brand new current modern GPS-175.
VAL INS429 is a great unit. A bit more expensive than NAV-122, but not by much. It is a good alternative. I totally agree. I was looking into it as well, but found NAV-122 and was totally happy with it. Either one will do.

GPS-175 is better than KLN-94 in all aspects, except:
- It cost at least $3K more + $1K extra for the indicator.
- Garmin only speak "garminish" these days. You are forced to buy other components from Garmin, pay $$$/year subscriptions to your tablet software etc. We are talking about a budget IFR panel here.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:00 AM

Default Another vote for a 430W

You have no GPS approach capability with your setup. The A210 is a good unit, I have one in my plane. I also have the 430W, and a Val Nav2000. Not that much more than what you are planing. With the 430 you can basically shoot any approach. Of course the newer GPSís are a lot cooler, the 650/750 or the Avidyne units, but the 430W can do it all. When you are in the soup you will be a lot more comfortable with dual everything and a little more modern equipment.
RV-6 Slider
O-360
FP Wood Prop
Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFazio View Post
You have no GPS approach capability with your setup. The A210 is a good unit, I have one in my plane. I also have the 430W, and a Val Nav2000. Not that much more than what you are planing. With the 430 you can basically shoot any approach. Of course the newer GPSís are a lot cooler, the 650/750 or the Avidyne units, but the 430W can do it all. When you are in the soup you will be a lot more comfortable with dual everything and a little more modern equipment.
KLN-94 is an approach certified GPS.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:26 AM

I would add a Dynon PocketPanel as a backup. Inexpensive and easy to install. Even toss in a 496 for backup nav duties.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-17-2020, 08:24 AM

VicBee, you posted this in the Classified section. Are you trying to sell it?

Dave
Old 02-20-2020, 11:51 PM

Yes, unfortunately I am selling all this. After carefully designing and picking component for this IFR panel for my old airplane ... I bought a new one with GNS480 and all that jazz already installed.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikbee View Post
Yes, unfortunately I am selling all this. After carefully designing and picking component for this IFR panel for my old airplane ... I bought a new one with GNS480 and all that jazz already installed.
So you went from one panel with outdated unsupported equipment to another one?

Aviation Alerts and Advisories
Service Advisory 1874 Rev B: GNS 480 (CNX 80) End of Service Life
January 31, 2019

Garmin GNS 480 (CNX 80) units are affected.

ISSUE:

[b]Repairs to the GNS 480 (CNX 80) display (including the bezel and LCD) are no longer available.

Effective 6/30/19, all other repair services and service parts are discontinued for the GNS 480 (CNX 80).

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviatio...-service-life/
RV-8 N52VM: Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.