VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Electronic Ignition Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 07:55 PM

The 1200 series magneto is among the most powerful available, but it's a heavy beast. I'd lean heavily on the SDS CPI system for the grunt work and stick with a common Slick or equivalent for the piece of mind. You are likely to have a lighter, more reliable system as a result.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale
Old 01-22-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcthree View Post
I personally donít feel great about the frankenmag setup. Oddly, I feel fine with a megajolt/EDIS4, maybe because I have had one running on the bench for a while. I guess my goal or wish list is a self contained emag to plug the hole for one side, and a stand alone for the other. Plan b is to ground one side of the D3000 as suggested and Stand alone the other side. I donít have a lot of under/beh8nd panel room (donít install the glove box!) for much more after the ADS-B install.
I am in the throws of installing an EDIS/Megajolt system right now. I am short on space as well. I made a plate that mounts to the bottom of the support ribs ahead of the sub-panel. Not the easiest place to get to, but so far it is working out ok and is close to power and ground.

Long term I am planning on dual EI, but for now I am installing just one system and leaving the mag on the other side. I am running the wire for both since it is a PITA.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Default D3000

Well. This is timely. I cracked the book this morning on the maintenance of this mag. Iíve come to the conclusion itís a complex mag, has an expensive 500 hour overhaul, requires quite a bit of maintenance, and has to many many failure points that will result in a loss of engine power. Itís not worth the worry.

I have an IO360 angle valve 200hp and plan to replace this mag with an SDS CP-2 duel EI system. Iíve read good things and Ross seems to be great with customer service.

Will keep you posted.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Dual power?

Al, are you going to be installing dual or redundant power in your dual SDS install?
2011-2020 VAF contributor
Old 01-23-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The 1200 series magneto is among the most powerful available
Yep,that's why I chose it.
Quote:
but it's a heavy beast
It's not as heavy as the D2000 it replaced! Don't forget a 1200 series is half the physical size of a D2000/3000 and you have also removed the heavy impulse coupling.
Quote:
I personally donít feel great about the frankenmag setup
It's not really a "frankenmag"setup. The H2AD doesn't know if the single drive shaft is working with and firing one coil or two. The drive dimensions and fit up are identical to the D2000/3000.
Any 1200 series four cylinder impulse coupling type (ie,long shaft) mag can be made work by simply installing the correct points for right hand rotation and replacing the impulse coupling with a drive coupling and resetting the internal timing.
Starting is via the EI only with this setup though.

I'm currently running a 1200 series in the mag hole and a CPI for the second ignition on my H2AD with good results. All up there is no weight increase to speak of.
Good Luck