What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Synergy Vs Axsys for Builder Classes

huzilulu

Hi Guys

I am about to finalize between Axsys Air or Synergy Air to start my RV journey - I realize I need to take a basic builder class somewhere to learn a bit about what is involved, and having read their respective websites, both these companies also offer some guidance/class on building the Empennage. I wanted to see who you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Axsys air is top notch

I can say a lot of positive things about Axsys air. After the initial build class, I decided to build by 8 their. It was probably the most important decision that perhaps made the difference between finishing and giving up. They have a beautiful facility with the option to rent a room, which works out great if you are not local and want to build in sprints lasting a few days.

Both Dennis and Glenn are great guys - our friendship continues to blossom now many years after the project was finished. They have been active for more than 30 yrs in RVs and have built several RVs. Last I visited they had several projects going on in the shop and it felt quite vibrant.

Another plug for Axsys Air. When I took the builder course with them back in 2015, they had a cancellation which left a class size of 2 - me and my son. Probably wasn't worth it for them but they didn't hesitate to continue with the course, likely because we were driving 15 hours to get there. The facility was very well set up, Glenn was a fantastic teacher. I started out with no experience and left confident that I could do it. I did indeed finish my plane and plan to bring it down there next year to show them and visit, I've stayed in contact with Glenn. A bonus from my trip down there was that I got to see my first RV in person as well as fly in one.

In short, the Axsys Air builder course was the best time and money I could have put into my whole project and I couldn't recommend them more.

I can't comment on Axsys Air as I have no knowledge of them. I do highly recommend Synergy Air in Oregon based on building my RV-10 empennage with them to get a great start on my build. For the empennage class I was always paired up 1 on 1 with one of their A&Ps, so received their full attention. They also changed the person I was working with several times during the 8 day class, which gave me a chance to learn from multiple people with sometimes different techniques, which was great. I also got to use multiple different tools, which helped me to decide which tools I wanted to purchase for my shop.

Overall, I found their empennage class to be a great learning experience that allowed me to continue my building once I got back home with confidence that I was doing things right. I suspect it also saved me some time and money, as I didn't need to scrap any parts and start over as I understand many builders end up doing.

I highly recommend Synergy Air as a great way to begin your RV building.

Back