What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More KY97A Problems

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
So I had a problem with receive volume with this Comm and had it repaired. Now it would appear I cannot transmit/receive effectively on the 25khz frequencies such as 118.825. I have tried getting a comm check with TKI tower on multiple occations with no luck. I can listen to the ASOS on 119.925, but only when I pull the sqelch and it is barely audible. Other 100khz frequencies seem to work fine, such as 122.9 or 122.8.

I'm not putting any more money into this comm, I bought it used off the forum a number of years ago. It has already caused me enough delays already. I already ordered a new GTR200, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, did you solve it?

So the Comm passed its bench test with flying colors. Maybe not seating all the way in the rack, or problem with my coax wiring.

My money is on the ?not seating in the rack? idea. If I recall, the connector at the back of the rack is not a pin/socket arrangement. I had this problem on a radio in my former C-182RG, and re-racking that unit fixed the problem. The contact points can get corroded, or the contacts don?t seat fully because of age/use. Cleaning the contact points on the KY97A as well as the receptacle at the back of the tray with a contact cleaner, along with putting a little bend on the contacts so they are pressed together better when the unit is seated in the rack is what I did on mine. This might help you with your problem, at least temporarily.

Turns out it was the female bnc on the pigtail from the comm that was the problem. Was old and the contact was well tarnished.

Back