What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the Tatoosh Turn

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
Today was both better than expected, and not quite as nice as hoped for. There were still a lot of clouds around, particularly over the mountains. We were, however, able to make it out to Forks.

We were wondering if we would be able to make the whole trip around the Olympic Peninsula as there were already some really big cumulus (cumuli?) around the southeast portion of the peninsula. The clouds went pretty high, but not too high, but it did look pretty dark to the south at around noon. It was another of those situations where the clouds were right at the altitude we wanted to be.

Carl decided to go over the top hoping for an opening and I opted to try going underneath and hoped to weave my way through the hills, in the valleys, below the clouds. The biggest concern I had was that it would be bumpy trapped between the hills and the clouds. Actually, it wasn't too bad. A little bumpy, but nothing to worry about. It turned out that with both options we ended up at Forks at about the same time, though since Carl left a few minutes before me, my way may have been slightly quicker.

I like going out to Forks not only for the beautiful scenery on the way, but the little eatery at the east end of the airport makes a mean Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap.

After lunch it didn't look like going south to Hoquiam and then back along the south edge of the Olympics would be a good option so we came back more or less the way we came. We went out to the coast and I flew up the coast getting some video. I was at around 2,000 feet for that portion of the trip. I would have preferred to go a little lower as it was pretty smooth, particularly over the water, but because of the bird sanctuary along the coast I can't go below 2,000 feet. While I can gripe about the rules and argue over how much trouble I'd really get into if I went lower, in the final analysis large numbers of birds and airplanes don't mix very well, so staying a little higher is also a good bit safer.

After taking a turn around Tatoosh Island I headed home. The "good" camera quit recording shortly after that. Fortunately, I had another one already recording also.

All in all, it was a pretty good day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXtHWJ55KOY

Gave you the usual "like" and enjoyed the detailed description here. Coincidental side note: since rental aircraft at PTK are always booked on weekends, Amy and I went for a ride in the Mustang with the top down. We wandered side roads until we found ourselves in Yale MI. We visited the historic Yale Hotel where I also enjoyed a chicken bacon ranch wrap. Go figure.

Back