- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaHawk View Post
I gave a lot of thought to my panel design - particularly the backups available in case xxx equipment failed. I actually ran a spreadsheet to show single points of failure and methods to work around those failure points.
Scott,

Care to share that spreadsheet? I'm planning a panel and avionics equipment, and would appreciate seeing how you put it together.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:33 PM

Default IFR Trainer

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your post. It answered some questions I had in purchasing an RV-10 and using it for IFR training. For the same reasons you list, learning on a plane and instruments you know, while saving some money in using your plane for the training. I just began shopping around for an already built plane that would be up to the task while searching for a CFI at the Oakland County International Airport in Michigan.

Best of luck,

Ted Hand
Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM

This is all very timely for me. I started my instrument training in Sept and it was put on hold due to my 300xl dying. I'm in the middle of an extensive rework of the panel with an ifd440 becoming my ifr GPS. It's a long slog.

In the process of thinking about equipment I recalled several local folks who fly down to Southern California reasonably regularly talking about remarkably frequent GPS outages, where there is essentially no GPS signal for significant amounts of time. The theory is that there is GPS signal jamming going on at one of several military installations in the region and one or more of those facilities is actually developing and testing jamming technology. The point being that my sense of warm and fuzzy surrounding the reliability of GPS got a bit of a reality check and the importance of ground based navigation was reinforced.

I'm still working on the panel installation and rat's nest of wiring, but I think I am firmly in the "putting it back together" phase, rather than the "taking it apart" phase!

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2018 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjconstant View Post
This is all very timely for me. I started my instrument training in Sept and it was put on hold due to my 300xl dying. I'm in the middle of an extensive rework of the panel with an ifd440 becoming my ifr GPS. It's a long slog.

In the process of thinking about equipment I recalled several local folks who fly down to Southern California reasonably regularly talking about remarkably frequent GPS outages, where there is essentially no GPS signal for significant amounts of time. The theory is that there is GPS signal jamming going on at one of several military installations in the region and one or more of those facilities is actually developing and testing jamming technology. The point being that my sense of warm and fuzzy surrounding the reliability of GPS got a bit of a reality check and the importance of ground based navigation was reinforced.

I'm still working on the panel installation and rat's nest of wiring, but I think I am firmly in the "putting it back together" phase, rather than the "taking it apart" phase!
Those GPS outages are NOTAM’d and mapped 72 hours in advance, so it shouldn’t be a surprise to them when it happens. The maps are available here: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/notices_public.aspx
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM

Pertinent to me for this thread to pop back up again - I'm taking my IFR written later this week and starting my flight work next week. I didn't have any trouble at all getting a CFII to agree to teach me in my 9A, the first three I asked all said yes, though one wanted to see my panel first.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPapaGolf View Post
Those GPS outages are NOTAM’d and mapped 72 hours in advance, so it shouldn’t be a surprise to them when it happens. The maps are available here: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/notices_public.aspx
Thanks for the link...I do find it ironic that when I clicked on a link about Notams for GPS outages, there was basically a notam about notam outages!

“FAASafety.gov Currently Undergoing Maintenance‘

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2018 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 05-23-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPapaGolf View Post
Only the known or planned ones.
This teaser article from one of the trade mags was put out yesterday.

I remember an article a few years ago about how they were constantly having problems with the GPS signal around Newark. Long story short, they found a truck driver, who's route passed near the airport frequently, had a jammer in his truck so his company couldn't keep tabs on him.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved