What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Special Issuance Medical - Not sure what I learned

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
After reading Doug's post from yesterday starting out with "I took Flash around the patch yesterday for .3 and it felt dang good (hadn't flown since last Friday)" I thought I would complete my medical story I started with a post at Christmas Time.

I finally recieved my special issuance medical certificate Tuesday of this week. I am not entirely sure what finally happened to break it loose but how it was moved from OK City to the Kansas City regional office.

Quick back ground. I had minor chest pains last Feb and went to the ER and after 24 hours was told I had some blockage in my corinary artery. Within an hour I had 4 stents, was home the next day, and back to work within 4 days. Then the mandatory 6 months no flying (actually no PIC) before I could apply for my special issuance. At 6 months I took a stress test and passed with no issues. My cardilogy report basically said I was no more risk then any other slightly over weight middle age man and ranked the lowest on two different scales. All this went in to the FAA in OK City. I recieved a letter in 6 weeks that they wanted more info. (My mistake for not having my cardilogist follow the exact thing listed by the FAA for what they need - lesson learned #1). Then the waiting started. After 8 more weeks my AME started to call OK City. Their response was they would elevate it to a suppervisor. No action after 4 more weeks. I also had AOPA checking up weekly.

Here in STL we have a few RVs around and I have a friend located at an airport 15 miles away that owns an RV as well. I got him on my issurance and was able to fly about every 6 weeks with him just enough to not having the plane sit to long with out running. You really need to ensure you have a qualified (by your issurance company and not the FAA) to fly your plane in case you ever can not fly (lesson learned #2).

Finally I called a old friend in MN that is a AME and he inquired to the regional office in Kansas City (lesson learned #3). Their reponse was an email back "We reviewed his case and he will have a letter and certificate within a week". Sure enough I got the letter this week. In the last week I have heard from three seperate sources that OK City is known to put you to the bottom of the pile if you "pester" them with phone calls from your AME and your best bet it to get it moved to a reginal office if OK City is not acting on it (unknown lesson learned #1). I have not been able to find out if AOPA helped or hurt my case (unknown lesson learned #2). My letter indicates that next year I send my stuff directly to Kansas City.

Now to the flying. Doug you thought it felt "dang good" flying after not for less than a week. Flying this week was like first flight all over again. These machines we built/fly have the capability to not only physically transform us to another location but to mentally change your outlook on how great it is to be free and alive (re-learned lesson #4). It is an addicting drug. I was able to take my wife up yesterday and we just flew in silence enjoying the beautiful views from the air. For those whose partner likes to fly with them, it makes it extra special (re-learned lesson #5).

I hope this posting helps someone going through similar issues with the FAA.

Glad to hear the good news

Phillip I have an old connection with St. Charles (lived there and worked there many years ago) and your well written post always get my attention. This one provided insight that I have seen nowhere else and I feel a bit wiser for having read it. Hopefully I will never have to use it but it is good to be informed. Thanks,

Bob Axsom

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem when I first got my medical. I'm always nervous when I see a doctor. This means my blood pressure is always slightly elevated. I don't have a blood pressure problem. When I take it myself, it's always right on target. Anyway, I was 21 at the time...

I did not tell the doctor about it (Lesson #1).The doctor did not say anything except "ok, your blood pressure is a little bit high". 2 Weeks later, I get a letter in the mail saying my medical is on hold and they want more information.

I had to wait 3 months before getting it. The only thing that made them change their mind is the ABPM (Ambulatory blood pressure monitor). I had to wear a device that took my blood pressure every 30minutes.

The doc finally said something like "well, all seems fine except that when you slept, the pressure was not low as it was supposed to be..." do you think I was able to sleep with a machine squeezing my arm every 30minutes...

Flying the 9A tops them all.

I had a stent inserted several years ago and went thru lots of mail, tests, and phone calls till I got my medical back. Guess what? Despite the fact that stents virtually NEVER fail, the FAA has intensified their oversight of those of us who have them.

If you change your medication, you must self ground. If you add a med, you must self ground. If you have any chest pains, until you figure it out you must self ground. If you don't pass the 9 minute Bruce Protocol treadmill test every year (I probably couldn't have passed it 20 years ago), I must self ground. The latest letter also requires me to keep their letter of permission in the airplane at all times.

In other words, it's better to be 50 pounds overweight and a terrible risk rather than acknowledge & deal with the problem. While I can understand the FAA's concern for safety, some procedures actually reduce risk and stents are one of them.

The other day I made a gradual descending turn at 157kts in the most beautiful VFR day known to Nature, man and science. The sights, sounds and sensations were absolutely incredible. I don't care how much appeal those other things have (booze, food, cigs), flying the 9A tops them all.

Bottom line? I cannot think of any better incentive to remain healthy, keep the weight off, avoid stress, no booze, eat nothing that irritates, and NEVER smoke.

Maybe I should thank the FAA.

Barry
Tucson

Special Issuance Med? Me too.

Philip, glad you are back in the sky! Good on you for persuing the med cert.

Yeah, I've got one of those special issuance ones, too. A few years back, I was feeling crummy and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I grounded myself until I got all the treatment sorted out, and everything was stable, and then went through the medical morass of getting the medical back.

Actually, it wasn't all that bad. I needed some letters from my docs that I'm not sleepy during the day (I've never been more awake, thanks to the therapy), some blood test and ekg results, and a complete physical. My only real problem is "white coat hypertension" (just like Phillipe). Since having an acceptable bp is so important, I get some blood pressure cuff anxiety.

Interestingly, that's getting better too. My last visit w the AME I had an excellent 120/60.

My point being that even though there are a few more hoops, and even though I have to do this annually, it's all surmountable, and all quite worth it.

Regards all - - Tom

special issue medical certificate

Philip Lehrke's tale of dealing with the FAA Aeromedical offices really reenforced what I have recently learned. After 18 years without flying, I presented myself to an AME for a 3rd class physical, thinking that I was just fine. He found previously undetected hypertension, and then noted that I had cancer surgery (prostate) and busted me. I thought I was done for, but some study revealed that these conditions qualify for possible Special Issuance. However, I also found that the procedures for asking for Special Issuance are rather confusing, and do not reveal what supporting documents should say. I accidently stumbled on a website, www.leftseat.com, the site of Pilot Medical Solutions of Bethany, OK. I called and explained my situation to them, and to make a long story short, they walked my AME and personal physicians through the documentation required. The last piece of documentation was received by Pilot Medical Solutions from my personal physician on January 19. They then hand carried the documentation to the appropriate FAA people, and my 3rd Class Medical Certificate was issued on January 29. I would strongly recommend that anyone faced with medical issues contact Pilot Medical Services. They aren't cheap, but I would guess that they saved me from a year of not flying. I now consider using Pilot Medical Services for medical issues to be in the same league as taking your CPA to a Tax Audit. Let the people who really understand the system help.

Craig Taylor

White coat factor on Blood Pressure

I really hate going for my medical, with all the associated fear, of an incorrect diagnosis, or worse!
If you have abnormally high BP when going for your medical,
you could schedule an early morning appointment with your GPfor the week before, minimize exertion beforehand, meditate, whatever helps, and get a note from the GP, " on this date, Mr. x had a resting BP of xxx/xx. Signed, Dr. Xy"

Keep it in your back pocket, and if your medical BP isn't typical, pull out your 'ace'. ( at least, this worked for me, in Canada).
Probably just having it in your pocket will reduce your pressure by 5 points! :)

Lots of resources to get you thru

I just finished treatment for prostate cancer (cyberknife) and am in the process of getting the documentation together to apply for the special issuance. Does anyone have a copy of (a sample of) the letter/report (preferably in a form the FAA has accepted) my Urologist and Oncologist ned to write? Thanks in advance Rich

My condition was different from yours but the FAA people were pretty helpful on the phone. I approached them with patience and respect and had little difficulty. Also, AOPA has a help desk for this subject too. MY AME had experience too which helped.

High BP before tests is freq caused by stress. Remember to get there early, no caffeine, eat lightly, no sugar, sit calmly (try not to think of hi anxiety issues, take many deep slow breaths, & drink lots of water.

Best of luck.

Back