What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 49-03 Figure 2 Cooler Box

Jaknjoan

Well Known Member
If you are having trouble with forming a uniform RTV gasket on the Cooler Box door, you might rather put a good release agent on the door and form the gasket on the perimeter of the firewall heat inlet. Keep the door door closed with a small bungee cord for more than 24 hours (until the RTV is good and dry) and then you will have a form-fitting gasket. Take a sharp Xacto knife and cut out any holes in the firewall that might have been closed. It worked for me.

JT

If you are having trouble with forming a uniform RTV gasket on the Cooler Box door, you might rather put a good release agent on the door and form the gasket on the perimeter of the firewall heat inlet. Keep the door door closed with a small bungee cord for more than 24 hours (until the RTV is good and dry) and then you will have a form-fitting gasket. Take a sharp Xacto knife and cut out any holes in the firewall that might have been closed. It worked for me.

JT

Exceptionally excellent idea!

I just used your idea and I must say do it by hand as suggested in the print would have yielded pretty poor results. Your way makes a gasket that fits the curves (deformation) perfectly! I rubber band from the Sunday paper worked great for a bungee. ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
RTV gasket release agent?

I don't have any idea on what would be a good release agent. I'm
thinking maybe silicon spray or seran wrap?

Thanks,
Bob Kibby

Don't use silicone

I don't have any idea on what would be a good release agent. I'm
thinking maybe silicon spray or seran wrap?

Thanks,
Bob Kibby

Do not use silicone spray anywhere near your aircraft unless you don't care if the paint sticks. It is nearly impossible to remove silicone from surfaces that will be painted and paint will not stick to surfaces with silicone on them.

Parting agent

Thanks Richard and Jim. I'll use the vaseline. Forgot that silicone is such bad stuff as far as painting goes. I'll ban my silicone to the haz-mat bin.

Working on my fuel tank. Maybe I should spray myself with silicone to keep the proseal from sticking to me? In retrospect I don't think that there is anything that proseal won't stick to.

Bob Kibby

The fingers stay BLACK for about a week!!!! BTW, I did it per the plans and it worked out fine. No need for a release agent.

Back