What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More finish kit tips

jamescone

Well Known Member
Here are a couple of tips that will save you some headaches.

There are four really tiny snap bushings to install. The ones in the rear are easy because you can get at them. The ones in the front are impossible to get at with your fingers. I installed them by using a small pick with a small tube slipped over it and then put the bushing on the pick. I then put the pick in the hole and used the tube to push the bushing in.

Getting the wires for the PTT switches into the control sticks is not easy to say the least. There is a 90 degree bend in the stick and a tube for the bearing that blocks most of the tube. After trying wire, string, blowing, sucking, you name it, I finally figured out an easy way to do it. I took a tiny piece of cotton from a Q-tip and tied it on the end of a thread and pushed it past the cross tube that blocks most of the path. I then used a vacuum and sucked the thread out the top of the stick. Be sure to feed the thread slowly so that it does not wrap around the cross tube. My thread was strong enough to pull the wires, with a little pushing and pulling to make the 90 degree turn.

One other note. If you are installing the autopilot wiring, you need to remove the pins in the optional main 25 pin d-sub connector to make room for the pins that come from the autopilot disconnect switch. That is pins 9 and 12 which are black and white, just like the pins that replace them. That is per note from Gus after I told him that there were already pins in those positions. They are easy to remove with the insertion tool. Just slide the tool all the way in with the wire until it clicks, give it a turn and pull the wire and pin out

Wires thru control sticks

I agree that is a tough job. I used a piece of the 18 wire provided, and twisted it some while pushing it thru. Works, but not easy.

Thanks for relaying your notes. They are very helpful for sure Jim.

John Bender

Back