What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Transition and tailwheel training

RedRaider94

Will be buying an RV7 in August and need both tailwheel endoresement and transition training. Best case would be to find a way to do both at the same time and would rather get this done before we take possession of the plane but may not be possible. Anyone have any ideas up here in the Dallas area? I live in Prosper.

Thanks
Shawn

Who did you end up using? I bought a plane a month ago and haven't been able to fly it due to scheduling conflicts with a CFI. Hopefully in the next week we'll be able to do it.

Same boat here, with Alex no longer in the biz, are there any local transition training options?

I know two CFIs with RV experience here in North Texas. One has his RV in the shop and the other one has been busy because he does it on his free time. His schedule and our horrible weather lately haven't coincided for me. Hopefully that ends this Friday or by next week now that the weather is better.

I also let him know today that you'll be needing training too.

I've been a CFI for decade so I might consider doing RV transitions in the future once I get real good in my RV-8. I already have an FAA LODA to teach in my Experimental gyroplane so I would only have to add the RV-8 to it.

I know two CFIs with RV experience here in North Texas. One has his RV in the shop and the other one has been busy because he does it on his free time. His schedule and our horrible weather lately haven't coincided for me. Hopefully that ends this Friday or by next week now that the weather is better.

I also let him know today that you'll be needing training too.

I've been a CFI for decade so I might consider doing RV transitions in the future once I get real good in my RV-8. I already have an FAA LODA to teach in my Experimental gyroplane so I would only have to add the RV-8 to it.

I sent off a message yesterday to the other transition trainer in NTX on the list maintain on the VAF homepage. Hopefully I will hear something back.

Will be buying an RV7 in August and need both tailwheel endoresement and transition training. Best case would be to find a way to do both at the same time
wn

If you find a cfi with a waivered (?LODA?) airplane, be aware that the standard FAA HQ language says ?No endorsements allowed except ?transition training given??. (Of course some FSDOs may have altered the language). That means the cfi may not endorse you for tailwheel (nor high performance, if a -10). I understand the faa?s logic but think they?ve gone overboard here.

I sent an e-mail to Dave Austin (listed on the VAF transition training page) last week and left him a voicemail yesterday. Haven't heard back yet. I hope he is doing training, he is the only other local listed.

I sent an e-mail to Dave Austin (listed on the VAF transition training page) last week and left him a voicemail yesterday. Haven't heard back yet. I hope he is doing training, he is the only other local listed.

Yes he's very busy with his regular job but I let David know about you needing training also. We were going to fly yesterday but weather got in the way again. We're shooting for this Friday when the weather is supposed to be good.

I wonder what the insurance requirements are to be an official transition trainer? I have an airline pilot friend who is a CFII and tailwheel trainer and we have thrown the idea around about me getting a -7 and use it for transition training.

I wonder what the insurance requirements are to be an official transition trainer? I have an airline pilot friend who is a CFII and tailwheel trainer and we have thrown the idea around about me getting a -7 and use it for transition training.

Don’t know about that but I’m a CFII and more than qualified to teach in other airplanes, helicopters, seaplanes, and gyroplanes however I wouldn’t be comfortable getting training in my RV from an instructor with less than a couple hundred hours in my make and model. In fact I don’t even care if they’re a CFI, I’d take that training from an experienced RV-8 pilot.

My insurance only wants me to get transition training (no minimum hours specified) but the CFI has to have at least 25 hours in the RV-8 to teach me.

Last edited:

It’s all about money. When I was last active with transition training, about 4 years ago, I was offered 2 options:
1. Put trainees on my insurance as named insureds. The insurance policy allowed and covered named insureds getting training in ‘their’ aircraft.
2. Get a general liability policy, really designed for FBO’s, to cover this.
Cost for #1 was about $400 per person. Cost for #2 was about $1500/year, unlimited number of trainees.
I now have what I believe to be a very good insurance policy (including $1 M CSL liability). But the company does not want and will not accomodate mid-year changes, like adding/removing named insureds; too much paperwork cost.
Edit: To be clear, this is if you want to offer training in your airplane, under a waiver (LODA).

Last edited:
As many others have done, if you query your insurance company, many will allow transition training in an RV-6 or RV-7 to count for the RV-8. Makes transitioning to an RV-8 much simpler.

It probably does but I prefer to learn in the RV-8 because there's a noticeable difference in landing the -6 or -7 versus the tandem seat -8 due to the CGs. As per the million threads I've read even landing the -8 solo versus with a passenger changes the ballgame.

Yes he's very busy with his regular job but I let David know about you needing training also. We were going to fly yesterday but weather got in the way again. We're shooting for this Friday when the weather is supposed to be good.

Thank you for your help

Anecdotally, I just started flying my 8. I got my tailwheel endorsement in about 5 hours in a citabria, and had absolutely no problem with the 8. Granted, I?ve got about 100 hours in the 6a, so I was familiar with the speeds. Makes me think that some combo of sxs RV time + tailwheel in a tandem and the average pilot should be able to manage the 8.

My limited understanding is that getting training in a plane YOU own is easier than getting training in someone else's. The difference is the LODA.

The CFI I use trained me in my 6A, and did transition training for a friend in MY 6A, but will not train people in his 8 because of the regs and insurance paperwork.

So there you go.

Hey, just trying help, since you've been complaining about not being able to get transition training at all. Given your experience, you can always build up to a (heavier) rear seat passenger after you get transition training in a -6 or -7 and flying the -8 solo for awhile....

Not complaining, just stating facts. I'm in no rush as long as I get good transition training plus I don't want to spend time learning in another plane to then adjust to mine. Been doing this for a while and I know how I learn. Thanks.

Back