What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

magnetometer location?

turbo

Well Known Member
a quick question. my plane will going thru a panel up grade. 2 G5's and a garmin adsb transponder.
question, where did you locate the magnetometer? :) thanks turbo out

Hi Turbo,

Mine is located on the tip rib, hidden in the wing tip fairing. It was a location recommended by Dynon. I had a conduit in place and had even remembered to pull a string through the last time I added wires!

If the wing tip is inconvenient, I believe others have mounted theirs in the tailcone.

Good luck.

On my -6A

I mounted my AFS ADAHRS on the fuselage floor (on a mount), just forward of the aft bulkhead. Working great in that location.

My Dynon D10A magnetometer is mounted on the floor (on a mount) just aft of the baggage bulkhead, and has worked great for many years.

Ron

Haven't installed it but because of AC, Servos, ect I plan on putting it in the tailcone about 4 ft aft of the bulkhead wall.

Mag

I just installed mine and tested it on the top of the first rib aft of the baggage bulkhead. I had to have stainless cables made up for the rear seat belts as the steel ones would swing the HSI about 30 degrees. Just be sure if you go that route that the stainless is non magnetic. I used 1x19 316 stainless. No swing in the compass now. FWIW west marine will make up the cables for about $100.

Last edited:
Aft fuselage under the empennage fairing.

Same here, found that the ferrous material in that area doesn't prevent the Dynon mag from working properly. Just be sure the device is protected from water that can leak in around the fairing. My magnetometer is wrapped in a plastic bag and that has worked for over 15 years.

Employees fairing

Same here, found that the ferrous material in that area doesn't prevent the Dynon mag from working properly. Just be sure the device is protected from water that can leak in around the fairing. My magnetometer is wrapped in a plastic bag and that has worked for over 15 years.

I was going to try there but was concerning about the steel elevator trim cables. As I understand steel can become magnetized from being worked or moving around. Just what the trim cables do. My garmin gmu44 was very sensitive to ferrous metals within about 12" of it.

Under empennage fairing, directly ahead of horizontal stabilizer. I've got electric trim, so no big steel cable nearby to mess with magnetic field. This location has worked great for me (GRT Sport SX EFIS).

Aft fuselage under the empennage fairing.

Under empennage fairing, directly ahead of horizontal stabilizer. I've got electric trim, so no big steel cable nearby to mess with magnetic field. This location has worked great for me (GRT Sport SX EFIS).

My GMU 11 is under the tail faring and works great with my two G5s.

I have manual trim so there is a steel cable back there. Was afraid that it would be messed up by some of the steel bolts, cables, and stuff but the Garmin Calibration and Interference test both passed with flying colors.

I only used three of the four mounting holes on the GMU 11. Installation has worked flawless for over 6-months but only 20 or 30 flying hours.

Your mileage may vary. My option was to create a shelf in the tail had the easy install I used not worked.

My Garmin GMU 44 is mounted using a bracket from Stein in my RV-10?s tailcone at the front-top of the bulkhead that?s just aft of the rear seat belt anchors. No issues with ferrous interference from the seat belt hardware or my ELT antenna which mounted on top of the tailcone nearby.

I made an aluminum hanger and shelf and it is attached to the longeron that runs along the top of the fuselage, just behind the baggage bulkhead. The 2 magnetometers sit on this shelf. This location is around 2 1/2 feet from the nearest steel which is the stainless stranded shoulder harness anchor lines, which don't move. It worked very well for my original GRT analogue magnetometer and I simply added the digital one hanging upside down below it for the new GRT Sport EFIS. Both work well in this location.

I made an aluminum hanger and shelf and it is attached to the longeron that runs along the top of the fuselage, just behind the baggage bulkhead. The 2 magnetometers sit on this shelf. This location is around 2 1/2 feet from the nearest steel which is the stainless stranded shoulder harness anchor lines, which don't move. It worked very well for my original GRT analogue magnetometer and I simply added the digital one hanging upside down below it for the new GRT Sport EFIS. Both work well in this location.

I?m going to assume you have a tipup? A slider will work only if you calibrate the magnetometer with the canoply closed, as placing it open will bring the metal frame close to the magnetometer. If the magnetometer is calibrated with the canopy open, closing it will confuse the magnetometer.

Re keeping the magnetometer away from the rudder cables and trim cable, I made a shelf that is riveted to the last bulkhead forward of the horizontal stabilizer, such that when the magnetometer is mounted to it, it?s up high and just under the empennage fairing. Gains a few inches away from the ferrous cables.

Per Sam, I have my magnetometer wrapped in plastic as well.

You?re absolutely right, I have a tip up. It makes sense that the ferrous metal in the slider frame will affect the magnetometer when open vs. closed.

Turbo - we have two Garmin magnetometers that are both mounted on teh aft deck, under the empennage faring, and they work fine there (RV-3 and RV-6). The GRT magnetometers in the -8 (getting a bit aged now - they might have newer versions) are on a shelf about halfway between the rear seat and the tail. Yes, they get upset if the canopy is open, due to the frame, but you can’t fly that way, so its to an issue.

The Dynon magnetometers in our Tundra are mounted similarly to the GRT’s in the -8, hanging from the top skin of the fuselage, and have been fine.

We chose the aft decks for the Garmin when we saw that is where the original designer of the “G” stuff had his located...... ;)

thanks for all the responses. ill pass this on to the avionics shop. looking forward to the panel upgrade and ditching the vacuum system. went all out and will be putting in the GTX345.
the rv is resting in hartford as kim and i get ready to fly the R-44 up to CT on thursday.
the wx has changed in FL from rain to sunshine. that was the longest wx event that kept me from flying as much as usual. recorded 24 inches of rain in stuart.
ifr currency is back up with some actual time in the logbook.

Back