What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which bolt for the instrument face plates?

On or around page 29A-08 there's some confusion on my part concerning which bolts for attaching the instrument panel (face). In particular, step 2 says to machine countersink all the .144 holes in the Skyview instrument panel right map box. Yet when I look at other builders I see pan-head (?) screws attaching the face panels.

On page 29A-11 it calls for AN507C632R8 screws which need to be countersunk. Why am I seeing most builders using AN screws that do not need to be countersunk?

Lastly, I have not ordered my avionics package. I remember seeing somewhere a comment that stated I shouldn't worry about attaching the instrument face panels until I receive my avionics. Is that correct? I know my left panel is a temp piece, but the center and the right panels appear to be the ones I'll use as I am going with one screen.

Thanks,
Lee

To CS or not to CS?

Working from memory here, all my stuff is at the airport.
I seem to recall running into the same question(s) and discovered that the countersinking was stated as an option in a subsequent revision. I ended up countersinking the panels out of personal preference. Either way, they are 8-32 screws I believe.

Panel install

I would suggest installing all the panel pieces now. They add strength to the structure and will prevent creasing the cover panel if you put too much weight on it, ask me how I know:mad: . No permanent damage, but it did bend down easily with very little effort. I used the 6-32 cs screws on my panel.

Old page 29-07 rev 1 states: AN515-6R8, TYP. (OPTIONAL AN507C632R8)

I used (with permission from Van's):
AN515B6R8 PHILLIPS from Aircraftspruce.
I didn't use the countersunk screws because I used the vinyl covering from 3M (3M DINOC)

42C-11a.JPG

Exactly. I planned on using the vinyl cover and liked the look of pan-head screws with metal washers. Also notice the custom (trophy shop) engine control label plate. The screws underneath it are countersunk-flush. (Matching N-Number plate.)

Full%2520Panel.JPG

and another:

Left%2520Side.JPG

Notice the additional wet compass in Gagarin737's panel. Imagine - to put that in, you have to remove that center panel piece. That means totally withdrawing and reinstalling the three engine cables - nuts! I did this mod which I highly recommend. It was not noticeable and could be done before signoff depending on your DAR. I think it might be possible but difficult (with a dremel) to retrofit without engine control removal.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=648659&postcount=163

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I'm going to CS the holes and use the called out fasteners. BTW, the vinyl wrap looks great. I never thought about applying that to the instrument panels.

-Lee

Just in time

I'm currently installing panels, sure like the look of carbon wrap..where was that obtained?? I'm not countersinking screws, just my choice...

I think some have found it at Wal-Mart. I think it would be found in the automotive department, so I would also look in an auto parts store.

For panel wrap, I used 3M Dinoc. Much info if you SEARCH this forum. Also check for it on Amazon. I used MetroStyling as my supplier.

I'm currently installing panels, sure like the look of carbon wrap..where was that obtained?? I'm not countersinking screws, just my choice...

Another option to the wrap is to send it to Protech where Synergy sends their RV-12 S-LSA panels. It's not a wrap but actual carbon fiber vacuum bonded to the 3 panel pieces and map box door. Beautiful workmanship and all the patterns match up.

At $360 it wasn't cheap but, to me, worth it.

Protect Composites
11700 NE 60th Way, Suite 3B
Vancouver, WA 98682

(360)-573-7800
[email protected]

I wonder if Protech does the small side panels above the armrests for the RV-12 S-LSAs, too?

I don't know. I assume you are talking about the clear application to the side rail that prevents scuffing of the paint when getting in/out. They also went with flush rivets in that area whereas the plans don't call for them.

My guess is that Protech does not install that since the part is already riveted into the plane before the product is put on.

Thanks, John. Wherever they come from, I thought the carbon fiber side panels above the arm rests look pretty good in the SLSA models. If anyone is interested, you can see them in the 360? cockpit walkaround on Van's website. The clear stuff to protect against scuffing is a nice touch, too. You can barely see it above the left armrest in the walkaround.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/rv12Cockpit.htm

Thanks for suggestion

I found all sorts of Vinyl covering including the Carbon fiber wrap on Amazon..and other places when searching "Vinyl Wraps"

Back