What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Modifications EAB Only Please

joedallas

Well Known Member
RV-12 Modifications EAB

Parking Brake Mod

[
32_02_03.jpg

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bl_32_02.htm

Last edited:
That's a pretty sharp edge to bang your knees on in an accident. you might want to re-visit that.

John

Reason 1: the Sticky: Modifications that you have made to your RV 12 after Certification ? E-LSA Only

Reason 2: EAB Builders are less critical of changes to the design of the RV12.

I think constructive criticism is a good thing and the people that get involved helps make a better design, however if the criticism is about changing the design of a product that has cost and production restraints I think it is counter-productive.
Van could build a much better RV 12 without these restraints.
My intention was to have place to list changes that EAB builders have designed and to have any one reply that could help make it better and not to downplay their effort.
MY view

Why do you say EAB only?

Last edited:
Missing Parts

[
32_02_04.jpg

The changes in the photo is only part of many changes.
The bottom of the tray is part of the structural design of the mount for the Jab 3300 engine. See the bottom doublers at the engine mount.

That's a pretty sharp edge to bang your knees on in an accident. you might want to re-visit that.

Joe, I think the confusing part about EAB only is that after certification those of us with ELSA aircraft enjoy the same flexibility that EAB builders do from the start so it seems like an artificial differentiation in the forum.

Rich

Agree with Rich - the main sticky thread should have the "ELSA ONLY" wording removed from its title and all mods posted or linked in that thread.

True EAB

True EAB like Joe's project is beyond any flexibility that an ELSA builder would have. He began with an all flush rivet airframe, and is building for fuel in the wings, try that after ELSA certification!

The website is very complete and filled with neat details and will give you workshop envy for sure.

And, I must say the engineering and workmanship look 1st class. Very nice Joe, you deserve an EAB ONLY thread and thanks for the update.

Last edited:
Joe

I purchased the parking brake specifically for the 12 and I get it with the wrong fittings.. AN types for aluminium tubing.

Despite the high cost of the thing VANs forces me to buy 179CA fittings for nylon tubing and I cannot return the wrong fittings. }#<<>$%

Getting very expensive to brake these days.

Did you have same prioblem ?

Tony thanks coming form you that means allot.

Rich I was retired but they called me back to work about a year ago. I work on the aircraft on weekends and a few hours two or three evenings after work, however my job allows me to have time to research design and order parts.

Jack I ordered only the parts that I needed from the finish kit and the hardware and aluminum from www.aircraftspruce.com/ and made some of the parts

I am all for an EAB only thread too, but maybe just a "mods made" thread. I have wanted to share some of my mods with the group, but cannot because of the title of the thread. Many of my mods could be made by the ELSA crowd just as well as the EAB crowd. I have really enjoyed the ELSA mod only thread, since it works both ways, many great ideas that were published there are equally applicable to the EAB crowd.

True EAB like a Joe's project is beyond any flexibility that an ELSA builder would have. He began with an all flush rivet airframe, and is building for fuel in the wings, try that after ELSA certification!

The website is very complete and filled with neat details and will give you workshop envy for sure.

And, I must say the engineering and workmanship look 1st class. Very nice Joe, you deserve an EAB ONLY thread and thanks for the update.

EAB not a Sticky

Don you are a true EAB builder.

Having a ELSA and a EAB thread help builders know what other builders have changed after certification and EAB builders know who are EAB builders.

This allows the ELSA builders who think we are crazy ( and they are right ) not to click on the thread.

Also I am not a strong believer in Stickies, I think the top real-estate should go to the current topic.

WE can bring this thread to the top when we make a change.

MY view

I am all for an EAB only thread too, but maybe just a "mods made" thread. I have wanted to share some of my mods with the group, but cannot because of the title of the thread. Many of my mods could be made by the ELSA crowd just as well as the EAB crowd. I have really enjoyed the ELSA mod only thread, since it works both ways, many great ideas that were published there are equally applicable to the EAB crowd.

Yeah I keep forgetting that:eek:

Hey,

We don't think you guys are crazy.... We just don't want to push the envelope or have the technical skills you possess (or "think"you possess) :D

The mods many of you have dreamed up are cool....which many of use will incorporate into our e-lsa's following certification as time and inclination permits...HATS OFF!

Heck, we don't know if our mods will work either. That is why it is called EXPERIMENTAL.
Watch us, if we go down in flames, don't do our mods!

Hey,

We don't think you guys are crazy.... We just don't want to push the envelope or have the technical skills you possess (or "think"you possess) :D

The mods many of you have dreamed up are cool....which many of use will incorporate into our e-lsa's following certification as time and inclination permits...HATS OFF!

Parasitic Drag Reduction for the RV-12

Press Release
06Feb2013
Eagle's Nest Projects (EN-10)
Clear Springs HS_League City, TX
3rd period PLTW Aerospace Engineering Class

PARASITIC DRAG REDUCTION FOR VAN'S AIRCRAFT RV-12

Inspired by the successful use of small main gear tires/wheels by Sonex aircraft, a team of 3rd period PLTW Aerospace Engineering students at Clear Springs High School in League City, Texas, recently set out on a mission to engineer, build, and implement a similar design for the Van's Aircraft RV-12 that would SIGNIFICANTLY reduce parasitic drag on the RV-12 they're currently building under the Eagle's Nest Project program.

Initial testing of this revolutionary design will be completed Monday afternoon, 10Feb2012, when the aircraft will be pushed at moderate speeds down the school's main hallway and into the cafeteria for display during "course selection". Final testing will be completed later the same evening when the aircraft is returned to the "Eagle's Nest" classroom shop/build area. The return trip will no doubt be at flat-out speeds and will be far in excess of normal operations.

The student engineering team estimates the new design will yield a .0003% increase in speed down the school's hallway and that the aircraft (fuselage only) will narrowly pass between the six foot door openings needed to get from the shop area to the lunchroom. When optional pressure recovery wheel fairings are added, the team estimates an additional .00001% increase in speed.

"Mentors build the student... Students build the aircraft"

_DSC9328.JPG

_DSC9330.JPG

Last edited:
That's awesome, Ernie! You had me going, all the way through the first paragraph :D

I sure wish you would have had this program going, back in the stone-age when I was in high school. It would have made me want to actually be AT school, versus as far away as possible. Thumbs up for getting these kids involved!

By the way (off-subject), I heard a real good friend of mine flew with you recently in your -12. She (Freya Shiller) said she really liked it, and she flies 777's for a living ;)

Gary I think the biggest hurdle is just getting the program started! I have tried with various high schools here, and cannot even get them to communicate about it. Like you, I sure would have liked such a program when I went to school.

Gary I think the biggest hurdle is just getting the program started! I have tried with various high schools here, and cannot even get them to communicate about it. Like you, I sure would have liked such a program when I went to school.

Don't let that stop you Don, if you really want to do it. There are many different successful working models happening right now, and many of them are not in high schools.

Rudder trim

Has anyone added springs to the rudder pedals to keep the slack out of the cables and trim the rudder

Is this a bad idea and why

Thanks Joe

rudder return

I recently saw on the Just Aircraft forum where instead of using a bungee cord or spring a builder used a pulley on the firewall and linked the two inside rudder pedals (pilots right pedal, copilots left pedal) together. Looked very simple and would eliminate any slack.

2013 SunNfun Grand Champ

Alex
How about a update on Oren's RV12 Jab 3300
total time and performance

Rate of climb, Fuel burn. Range, Total fuel in tanks

Last edited:
Loving the Jabiruw

Alex
How about a update on Oren's RV12 Jab 3300
total time and performance

Rate of climb, Fuel burn. Range, Total fuel in tanks

We have 210hrs on the 12 with the Jabiru 3300. We have been running around 2750 at 115kts on around 3.8gph The wing tanks are working great and we have started putting 93 oct in one tank and 100 ll in the other. Each wing tank holds 9 gallons and then the header tank behind the firewall holds 5gal. On colder days we can be getting 1000-1200 fpm on climb out. Joe when r you going to pack up and move up here to Virginia? :D

Last edited:
To cold Alex

Thanks Alex

I'm sure you meant baggage bulkhead not firewall.
We were thinking about moving north however this winter has given Marcia and I second thoughts

I hope our 12 will perform as well as yours

You and your family built a beautiful Aircraft

We have 210hrs on the 12 with the Jabiru 3300. We have been running around 2750 at 115kts on around 3.8gph The wing tanks are working great and we have started putting 93 oct in one tank and 100 ll in the other. Each wing tank holds 9 gallons and then the header tank behind the firewall holds 5gal. On colder days we can be getting 1000-1200 fpm on climb out. Joe when r you going to pack up and move up here to Virginia? :D

Very nice workmanship Joe. My thoughts on the cable slack? When I lay my size 12's on those pedals, the slack is gone. Your 12 will gain plenty of weight elsewhere when you start flying it! Guaranteed.;)

Back