What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Time Radio, ATC VFR save.

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi Gang:

If you go to the Flight Time Radio podcast area on I -tunes and look for the audio clip of the ATC transmissons of a VFR pilot in trouble, it is sobering listening.

Its 58 minutes that will have you squirming in your seat, atc talks a vfr pilot through a busy florida sky. It has a good outcome, but will really make you think.

cheers, Terry.

Hi Scott:

The third controller you hear is Charlie Willwerth who is the co-host of Flight Time Radio.

Cool cat under pressure.

Cheers, Terry.

Wow...everyone should listen to that. This guy was very close to not making it home and was getting vertigo bad. The Baron driver was trying so hard to help him out.

Now let's see if I can find where I put that Gleim Instrument book. :)

Did you know!

After 22 years, the FAA fired this controller. By the way, Lane Wallace wrote an article about him in Flying Magazine after he helped her through thunderstorms!

Fired him? why? I think the guy was a hero. Good for the guy who was lost the controller obviously an experienced pilot...Note to self: Make sure Autopilot is kept happy.

After 22 years, the FAA fired this controller. By the way, Lane Wallace wrote an article about him in Flying Magazine after he helped her through thunderstorms!

Hello,

I see in your profile that you listed your name as Charlie Willwerth. Are you the person that was fired? If so, why talk about yourself in the 3rd person on your very first post here?

Just curious.

If this is a mistake on my part, please accept my apology. If this was intentional, the microsecond this strays into a FAA debate I'll delete those replies. I didn't count the controllers in the clip, so there is a real chance I'm wrong here. If so, again, apologies.

Last edited:
So...

Say this was me in this situation--VFR pilor needing this assistance. What would the ramifications be?

Mark

Say this was me in this situation--VFR pilor needing this assistance. What would the ramifications be?

Mark

Do you mean legal?

I think if it's an "honest" mistake, a pilot has little to worry about in regards to enforcement action. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm in trouble and need to be on the ground, that's an emergency. I think too many pilots wait too long and by the time they "declare", it's a much bigger problem for everybody. In this case, 45 minutes of fuel put a lot more pressure on "the system" than if he spoke up a half hour earlier.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Hi Cubman:

Just shows to go you, that no good deed goes unpunished. :D

I listen to Flight time radio podcasts all the time, keep up the good work.

cheers, terry.

Wow, even knowing it ended OK it was nerve racking!! My instructor put me through that drill during the instrument familiarization part of the PPL giving me vectors to the runway after he got me lost:D...under the hood, after I lost about a gallon of sweat he told me to pull the hood and land...Hmmm all lined up with the runway. Not sure if it was just his practice but it should be for everyone. This clip bought back all those memories of that flight.

What a great job talking him in.

Can you get to this without subscribing or being a member of itunes? I couldn't find the file?

Thanks.

WOW!

It was ugly, but they got it done and on one got hurt. It is amazing how the controllers stay so calm and cool.

wow!

Last edited:
Back