What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 tank skin first fit,..not so good.

Raybilt

Hello gents,
I'm working in the wing section of the builder manual, p. 7-5 FITTING THE TANK SKINS.... The 701 tank skin is not lining up as it should. Up to this point everything has fit perfectly and I've followed the builder manual religiously. I believe the problem may rest in the holes I've drilled in the W712 "z" brackets not being accurate enough which is causing misalignment of the baffle. I'm on my second set of brackets, still not satisfied and have another dozen coming from Van's, along with new nut plates.
All this buildup for an idea I'm contemplating and would like some input. When the next set of brackets arrive I plan on mounting them to the front of the spar without drilling the single 1/8" hole in their tops. I will cleco the tank skin to the baffle and then cleco the assy to the main spar. I believe I will see a better fit with the leading edge. If so I plan to then drill one hole in the most inboard bracket, using the baffle as a guide, and cleco it. I will then remove the leading edge so that a hole can be drilled in the most outboard bracket, again using the baffle as a guide, and cleco it to the bracket. The skin will then be removed, leaving the baffle attached with one cleco at each end and drill the remaining four brackets using the baffle as a guide.
With the accuracy of the prepunched holes I can see my drilling of the "z" brackets as the weak point. Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ray Piantanida
Florahome, FL.

Tank skin fit

Assuming the ribs are not causing the issue, the problem you describe is common and you're method to resolve it is correct.

Here's "the z-bracket method" I used.
First mark a center line on each z-bracket flange but only drill one hole in one flange of the z-brackets matching the hole size in the spar. You can fudge this center line a 64th to make sure the bolt head will clear if necessary. Center worked fine for mine.
I used scrap bolts and nuts next.
Secure the bracket using one bolt. Align center on the other two spar holes.
Another trick is three pieces of brass tubing from a hobby store. ID of the inner one is #40. OD of the outer is the spar hole size. The three pieces slide together to create a drill bushing. Now you can perfectly center drill the holes without messing up the spar holes.
Drill one more hole in the z-bracket. Insert a bolt. Drill the third. Remove and repeat for the others z-brackets.
Once all the z-brackets are done, install the plate nuts on the z-brackets and the plate nuts for the inboard spar z-bracket holes. Mark the other center line on the z-brackets. Install the z-brackets.
Cleko the tank together including the baffle. Use 100% clekos in the baffle to skin and skin to rib holes. Cleko the tank to the wing. 1/8" clekos fit the tank attach nut plates in the wing spar. Use 100%. Cinch it down with straps so the leading edge and tank attatch holes are perfectly lined up. Cleko them also. It should be exactly where it belongs now.
Check center lines in each z-bracket through the baffle holes in the next steps. They should be lined up perfect.
Drill the holes for the inboard baffle to z-bracket. Cleko them.
Remove the leading edge. You have to remove it leaving the tank attach because it won't slide out. You can remove it after.
The outboard end of the tank is now accessible.
Drill the outboard baffle to z-bracket holes. Cleko them.
Disassemble the tank skin from the baffle leaving the baffle clekoed to the two z-brackets.
Drill the remaining z-brackets inserting clekos as you drill.
Now you have a perfectly aligned baffle z-brackets.
It takes a bit longer but it's worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info....

Can't thank you enough, Larry. Good info and I'm anxious to get back on the project soon as my new Z brackets arrive.

Back