What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon FlightDEK180

mikkee1

Hi all,

Has anybody tried out the new Dynon EFIS? It looks like a phenomenal little box that will replace pretty much an entire panel...

Just looking at updating my steam gauge panel, while hopefully eliminating the centre panel that cuts into too much leg room...

Thanks,

Mike
RV-4 C-GJIP

EFIS

Rusty,

I have a concern about the Dynon EFIS that you may be able to address. I looked at one last year at Sun and Fun. The Dynon folks were kind enough to let me take it outside in the direct sunlight. I could not read it! It completely faded out in the direct sun. I live in Florida, and there is a reason they call this the "sunshine state".

What is your experience with the readability of the Dynon in sunlight?

Thanks,

Tony

Never had a problem with full sun on our D10 ... the colors may fade out with the sun to your back ... but I could always read it.

Hi Tony,

I had a D10A in an RV-3B, and my only complaint was that it wasn't quite as bright as I would have liked it to be. I never had trouble reading it in flight, but it was close in direct sunlight. When the time came for the D180, I whined a bit about the brightness again, but bought it anyway.

Just this past Fall, Dynon came out with a brighter screen for the large units, so I sent mine in to be upgraded. It's double the "nits", but of course that doesn't mean double the visible brightness. All I can tell you is that I haven't once thought of the brightness issue in flight. It's been totally readable.

Take a look at the bright screen option at SNF this year (if you can wait that long). Anyone with a bubble canopy should get the brighter screen, though the old screen may be just fine for the -10, or any other plane with a roof.

Cheers,
Rusty (took 200 lbs of Office Depot paper flying today)

D-100

I opted for the D-100 with a eis4000 for engine monitoring simply because I've had experience with this configuration building my brothers 7-A. I simply have a Garmin 196 for backup purposes since I'm only looking for a day/night vfr configuration. The D180 configuration would otherwise be very appealing.

FYI - Dynon has a new, brighter screen for the D100, D120, & D180. This solved any perceived viewing issues.

Sorry, it is not available on the smaller units.

D180

I was originally going to purchase the smaller Dynon units (D10 EFIS & EMS) because Van's offers them for a good price. Recently I have decided to go with the D180 instead. The single D180 unit simplifies installation even more than the twin units. My biggest concern is that CG will be too far aft. I'm using an O320 and fixed pitch prop. I might have to incorporate a CS prop to use the back seat with some small amount of baggage. I have been debating the panel in my mind a great deal lately. I need to fish or cut bait. Christmas is over now so it is time to resume aircraft spending. ;)

Brian Vickers
Bainbridge Island, WA
RV4 finishing

It's an Enigma...

Guys, Don't rule out the best bang for the buck EFIS out there, the MGL avionics Enigma. It does everything the Dynon does and alot more. I have used their Horizon XL in a friends Sonex and really like it. I have an MGL digital alt in my Rocket and it is superb as well. Take a look at www.sportflyingshop.com and select instruments, then Stratomaster Enigma on the drop down menu...

I have one on order..

See ya!

Smokey

Enigma

Wow, that IS an impressive little box (so to speak). And with an integral GPS...
I'm just fiddling with the simulation now. It's like the Blue Mountain EFIS in a smaller screen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
C-GJIP

Back